Author Topic: “Do you have a fighting chance using English?”  (Read 4165 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
“Do you have a fighting chance using English?”
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »
The popular Tagalog tabloid newspaper, Abante, featured Give Your English the Winning Edge in its style section today, July 30. The story, “May laban ka ba sa Inglesan” (“Do you have a fighting chance using English?”), was written by Maria Ana Esternon and appears in both the paper’s print and Internet editions. (Thanks for the wonderful review, Ana!)

I am tempted to render the piece into English but my Tagalog being so rusty now, I’m afraid that the message of the piece might just be lost translation. So, for the benefit of the foreign members of the Forum as well as its non-Tagalog-speaking visitors, may I request someone with superb Tagalog-English translation skills to do the job? I would be most grateful. 

Read Maria Ana Esternon’s “May laban ka ba sa Inglesan” in Abante now!

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: “Do you have a fighting chance using English?”
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
...the message of the piece might just be lost translation...

Lost in translation...?

Err..ahhh,,,,Joe,

If your Tagalog is so rusty, how do you know that the review was wonderful?     ;D

Smart Alec Max

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »
...the message of the piece might just be lost translation...

Lost in translation...?

Err..ahhh,,,,Joe,

If your Tagalog is so rusty, how do you know that the review was wonderful?     ;D

Smart Alec Max

I thought I had put that preposition precisely where it should be, but where, of where did it go when when it was time to deliver the much-needed logic? That line should read "lost in translation," of course!

I knew the review was wonderful because I can read Tagalog well enough, but I can't trust myself to do a faithful translation from Tagalog to English. Tagalog is not my native tongue, by the way; mine is a variant of Bicol that's not very widely spoken outside of my old hometown. In the old days, in fact, when I spoke that dialect in places farther than 25 km away from my hometown, people couldn't understand me and would look at me with great suspicion--as if I had come from another planet!

jonathanfvaldez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »
Caveat: Although I can't claim to have "superb" Tagalog-English translation skills (as you seem to require), I saw your request as a challenge and as a  chance to "revisit" my native tongue (although it's been a while since I last read something in Tagalog at length, much less a newspaper article).

Here's my translation:

Communicating in English is more frequent today than in the past generations.  English has assumed more importance today because of our increased need to communicate with foreigners.

English used to be considered a borrowed language. But in today’s age of globalization, English should be treated more than a borrowed language.  For many reasons, we will be left behind unless we accept English as the international language.

Yet, although English has become part of our life, many misuse it. We will achieve effective communication in English if we are armed with knowledge of its proper usage.  For some, our misuse of English lessens our professionalism.

In this regard, noted writer Jose Carillo’s third book "Give Your English the Winning Edge" was formally launched on July 22, 2009 at the Manila Hotel.

Among the celebrities who attended the book launching were Rony Diaz and Ed Maranan.*  The occasion also included a short symposium among students on the subject English language.

A noted and respected writer, Carillo is an internationally-awarded corporate communicator. His many awards include the National Book Award for linguistics from the Manila Critics Circle in 2005 for his first book titled “English Plain and Simple: No-Nonsense Ways to Learn Today’s Global Language.”

His second book, launched in 2008, is titled “The 10 Most Annoying English Grammar Errors.”

Carillo’s books are available at major Metro Manila outlets of National Book Store, Powerbooks, Bestsellers, Goodwill Bookstore, Fully Booked, and Expressions.

“Give Your English the Winning Edge” provides us with lessons on the proper use of the English language.  It gives us a means of learning an effective way of communicating especially with foreigners.  On this point, we can be poised to help our country progress.

* Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else (memory isn't as good as before), but I seem to remember a Father Ed Maranan.  Same somebody?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »
Thanks a lot, jonathanfvaldez! I must say it's a great English translation from the original Tagalog! Now Forum member Max Sims and other non-Tagalog-speaking members will have a very good idea of what Abante's Maria Ana Esternon’s is saying in her review of my latest book, Give Your English the Winning Edge.

Read the original Tagalog book review "May Laban Ka Ba sa Inglesan?"