Author Topic: Another use of an English tense  (Read 4230 times)

maxsims

• View Profile
Another use of an English tense
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »
Joe,  In a reply to a student, you said:

2.   “My grammar about the Tagal is long ago finished.” The use of the present tense “is” in this sentence is in error.

Will you explain why?

It is my experience that the present indicative in English is also used, albeit usually in a poetic sense, to indicate that a completed act, whether recent or in the past, is done, finished with, gone and irrevocable.   Two examples spring to mind, both from pop songs (not that pop lyrics are prime examples of good grammar).

From the song, "Ballerina"...
"He's not out there, applauding in the second row,
And love is gone, ballerina, gone...."

and from "You Only Live Twice"...
"And love is a stranger,
Who'll beckon you on,
Don't think of the danger,
Or the stranger is gone..."

In the first example, the last line could have been "And love has gone...etc" but that implies a possibility of reconciliation which, I presume, the lyricist wanted to avoid.

In the second example, the last line could easily have been "Or the stranger will be gone", but that doesn't give the doom and gloom finality of "is" in this instance.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another use of an English tense
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »
Sorry for this delayed reply, maxsims. I’ve been kept so busy by the weekend updates to the Forum and by various urgent errands. It was only this afternoon that I was able to wrap up everything.

“My grammar about the Tagal is long ago finished.”

You’re right that the simple present tense can also be used for the linking verb “is” in sentences like Jose Rizal’s construction above. However, it would be grammatically correct only if the adjective linked by “is” is stand-alone and isn’t modified to convey an action in the past, as in “My grammar about the Tagal is finished.” The idea conveyed is that of an established fact, not an unfolding action. But when “long ago” modifies “finished,” whether before or after the word, the past tense becomes mandatory for the linking verb: “My grammar about the Tagal was long ago finished.”  “My grammar about the Tagal was finished long ago.” The action decidedly took place in the past, thus requiring the verb to be in the past tense.