Author Topic: English vs Math  (Read 11447 times)

shem90

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • computer networking palm springs
    • Email
English vs Math
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:58:23 AM »
Hi as I observe good English is Bad in Math.So what do you prefer for?
English or Mathematics.

bur90

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • builder glasgow
    • Email
Re: English vs Math
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:00:09 AM »
Math Sucks!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:07:12 AM »
Math does suck when you look at it negatively, bur90, but it could be truly fascinating and fun when viewed with an open, welcoming mind. For starters, read my essay "The grammar of numbers and time" that's posted on the Forum, then follow it up with "The genesis of the numbers 1 to 9," also posted in the Forum. Do tell me what you think when you're through reading them.

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:11:07 PM »
Math does suck when you look at it negatively, bur90, but it could be truly fascinating and fun when viewed with an open, welcoming mind. For starters, read my essay "The grammar of numbers and time" that's posted on the Forum, then follow it up with "The genesis of the numbers 1 to 9," also posted in the Forum. Do tell me what you think when you're through reading them.

Can the prepositions ''on'' and ''in'' safely be used interchangeably as in phrases ''posted on the Forum'' and ''posted in the Forum.'' I've been confounded with the maze for quite some time, and I think it's the correct time I asked it now you've used them the prepositions that way in your posting.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »
From a stylistic standpoint, no, "on" and "in" are not interchangeable. It was an oversight on my part that I used "on" the first time and "in" the second time in this sentence in my posting above:

For starters, read my essay "The grammar of numbers and time" that's posted on the Forum, then follow it up with "The genesis of the numbers 1 to 9," also posted in the Forum.

Since I'm using American English, I should have consistently used "on" in both instances. It must be kept in mind, though, that this is just a matter of convention and preference. My understanding is that it’s the other way around in British English: “Londoners live in a street and stay in farm cottages at weekends,” but “New Yorkers and English-speaking Manilans live on a street and stay in farm cottages on weekends.”

You may want review some of the other usage differences between American English and British English by clicking this link to “How American English and British English Differ,” an essay of mine that I have posted on the Forum.

For preposition usage in American English, I suggest you check out “Lesson #8 – Specific Rules for Preposition Usage” in the Forum by clicking the indicated link.

Magdalene123

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • 3Gorillas
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »
Maths is so not my subject, I have always loved English and have preferred it on other subjects. Math is so complex and time consuming, I can't handle it.

shem90

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • computer networking palm springs
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:26:04 PM »
Hi as I observe good English is Bad in Math.So what do you prefer for?
English or Mathematics.

Yeah your right! ;D

grid

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • www.migrationexpert.com/visa_us/
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
I prefer mathematics than English because I find solving numbers interesting and challenging!

Hubert

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • littlejons
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:57 PM »
I think English is much better subject then maths because maths is full of numerical and i am not good in it that is why i love and prefer English over maths.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:37:26 PM by Hubert »
little jon Archery Gear & Bowhunting Supplies