Author Topic: Catching the major broadsheets do their English flawlessly well  (Read 8743 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Catching the major broadsheets do their English flawlessly well
« on: December 25, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »
For this week’s edition of My Media English Watch, I’m truly delighted that I have such slim pickings of problematic English from the major reportage of the four Metro Manila broadsheets. This means that my grammar critiques for once would be mostly positive, short, and sweet—a state of affairs that, of course, is well in keeping with the spirit of the Christmas Season.

Take a look, for instance, at the first few paragraphs of this well-written, well-researched, and well-edited no-nonsense reportage about Mayon’s increasing volcanic activity by one of the leading broadsheets last Thursday:

Christmastime eruption looms

LEGAZPI CITY—Mayon Volcano Wednesday hurled huge ash columns as high as one kilometer into the sky as the angry mountain threatened to unleash its first major Christmastime eruption in 138 years.

“Parameters are high up to now and the intensifying activity might force us to raise the alert level to its highest,” resident volcanologist Eduardo Laguerta said Wednesday.

But it would happen only when Mayon shoots a straight ash column containing pyroclastic materials and molten, burning rocks as big as houses or buses, from its crater, accompanied by intense rumbling and jittering of the ground felt as far as this city,” Laguerta said.

Mayon has had a history of 49 eruptions in 400 years, but only three of them—excluding the current series of blasts—occurred at a time corresponding to the Christmas season in the Philippines. This was in 1868, 1871 and 1888.

The 1871 blast killed three people, blanketing Legazpi, Camalig and Guinobatan with ash, according to the records of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs). The 1868 and 1888 eruptions killed no one.

Don’t you agree that the above news story is highly informative and truly effortless reading? The high quality of its narrative and of its English—in a story evidently generated in-house by the paper’s reportorial staff—is a far cry from that of the news stories I critiqued last week, when the same paper reported that “Cone-shaped Mayon Volcano could blow its top within days” (use of the trivial, irrelevant feature element “cone-shaped”; semantically inappropriate figurative language) that the volcano “has blown its top nearly 40 times in 400 years” (same problem plus bad, misleading arithmetic), and when another paper reported that “Local and foreign tourists have started flocking to Albay to take a glimpse of the glowing lava flow from rumbling Mayon Volcano…” (use of the inappropriate verb “glimpse”; poor adjective choices; poorly motivated sentence).

None of the other Mayon stories of this broadsheet last Thursday exhibited notable problematic English. Indeed, its only story that I thought could stand improvement from a grammar standpoint is the following:

Entire barangay leaves danger zone

GUINOBATAN, Albay—An entire village, which lies within the 6-kilometer radius danger zone from Mayon’s crater, has virtually relocated to an elementary school-turned-evacuation center here.

All 1,246 residents of Barangay Maninila, including their leaders, are now occupying 15 classrooms of the Travesia Elementary School in Barangay San Francisco. They brought with them their chapel, health center and barangay hall.

In the first sentence of the story above, the relative clause “which lies within the 6-kilometer radius danger zone from Mayon’s crater” is a very common case of what should be a restrictive modifier erroneously made into a nonrestrictive one. Also, the noun phrase “within the 6-kilometer radius danger zone” is redundantly and awkwardly worded, and could be better and succinctly reworded as “within the 6 km danger zone.”

Now, before attempting to reconstruct that sentence, let’s recall that a relative clause is restrictive when it provides essential information about the subject of the sentence, and nonrestrictive when it provides information that isn’t essential to the meaning of the sentence. Restrictive relative clauses, we will remember, should be linked to the main clause by the function word “that” as subordinator, while nonrestrictive clauses should be set off from the main clause by commas and introduced by either “who” for humans or “which” for nonhumans.

In the sentence in question, the relative clause “which lies within the 6-kilometer radius danger zone from Mayon’s crater” is obviously essential information about the entire village referred to. It should therefore be integral to the subject of the sentence. So, also taking into account the improvement in phrasing that I earlier suggested, that sentence then should have that relative clause in its restrictive form instead, as follows:

“GUINOBATAN, Albay—An entire village that lies within the 6 km danger zone from Mayon’s crater has virtually relocated to an elementary school-turned-evacuation center here.”

Of course, that sentence can be constructed even more concisely by reducing that relative clause, “that lies within the 6 km danger zone from Mayon’s crater,” into its relative phrase equivalent, “within the 6 km danger zone from Mayon’s crater” (where the relative pronoun “that” and the verb “lies” are ellipted or dropped from the sentence for conciseness and easier articulation), as follows:

“GUINOBATAN, Albay—An entire village within the 6 km danger zone from Mayon’s crater has virtually relocated to an elementary school-turned-evacuation center here.”

That sounds much better and crispier than the original, doesn’t it?

Except for the grammatically flawed sentence that needed the above rewrite, all of the broadsheets admirably fared well in their English for their running reportage of Mayon’s volcanic activity, so I don’t think there’s any need to make individual critiques of their stories. Frankly, it’s a good feeling to catch the major broadsheets doing flawlessly well in their English for their top stories!

SHORT TAKES IN MY MEDIA ENGLISH WATCH:

I found serious grammar and usage problems in three lesser news stories of one of the broadsheets, though.

(1) Subject-verb disagreement

Drug test on foreign students urged

“CEBU CITY — The Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) wants foreign students taking up language courses in the country to be subjected to random drug testing, especially with the recent arrest of Korean students in Cebu for marijuana use.

“To date, over 12,000 thousand high-school students have undergone random drug testing. The concern of the DDB Vice chair is that there has been reports of foreign students enrolled in language centers caught using drugs.”

In the expletive clause “there has been reports of foreign students enrolled in language centers caught using drugs,” the true subject of the clause is the noun “reports,” which is plural. The operative verb should therefore be in the plural form “have been” instead of the singular form “has been.” The sentence in question then needs to be corrected as follows:

“To date, over 12,000 thousand high-school students have undergone random drug testing. The concern of the DDB Vice chair is that there have been reports of foreign students enrolled in language centers caught using drugs.”

(2) Needless use of adverb; wrong tense of verb phrase

Thieves break into Baguio city hall

“BAGUIO CITY — Probers are now facing a blank wall on how unidentified robbers are able to burglarize four offices in the eastern portion of the two-story city hall building here early Tuesday morning.”

This sentence is badly written and badly edited, with its needless use of the adverb “now” (what were they facing before anyway?) and the verb “unidentified” and its wrong use of the present tense “are able to bulglarize” instead of the present tense “were able to bulglarize.”

Here’s that sentence as corrected:

“BAGUIO CITY — Probers are facing a blank wall on how robbers were able to burglarize four offices in the eastern portion of the two-story city hall building here early Tuesday morning.”

(3) Unedited or badly edited story

Zero crime in Cavite

There were no major crimes incidents in Cavite in the last six days, the police provincial office said Tuesday.
Big crimes were a virtual nil during the ‘Simbang Gabi’ (dawn mass) days, they said.
“In Imus, the province’s capital and the site of the diocese, there were no single incidents that have been reported at the municipal police station from December 16, the day “Simbang Gabi” started until Wednesday (December 23).”

In the first sentence, the phrase “There were no major crimes incidents” is ungrammatically and awkwardly worded. Correct: “There were no major crimes.”

In the second sentence, the clause “Big crimes were a virtual nil” is awkwardly worded. Better: “Big crimes were virtually nil.”

In the third sentence, the clause “there were no single incidents that have been reported” is convoluted, redundant, and badly worded. Better: “not a single incident was reported.”

So here’s that problematic passage as corrected:

“There were no major crimes in Cavite during the last six days, the police provincial office said Tuesday.
Big crimes were virtually nil during the ‘Simbang Gabi’ (dawn mass) days, they said.
“In Imus, the province’s capital and the site of the diocese, not a single incident was reported at the municipal police station from December 16, the day ‘Simbang Gabi’ started until Wednesday (December 23).”
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:34:45 PM by Joe Carillo »

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Catching the major broadsheets do their English flawlessly well
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 07:04:41 PM »
Yes, Joe,
The narrative is effortless and easy reading...this time,neither of us "blew our top"! Happy Christmas with the remaining hours left....yes, I know in the Philippines Christmas ends after the 6th, here it's after the 25th...then we start greeting, Feliz Ano...Regards

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
“BAGUIO CITY — Probers are facing a blank wall on how robbers were able to burglarize four offices in the eastern portion of the two-story city hall building here early Tuesday morning.”

Don't you just love that word "burglarize"...?   Whatever happened to the good, old-fashioned "burgle"?

And "Probers are facing a blank wall on..." indeed.    How about "Police have no idea.......etc."?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 01:28:41 AM »
Yes, Joe,
The narrative is effortless and easy reading...this time,neither of us "blew our top"! Happy Christmas with the remaining hours left....yes, I know in the Philippines Christmas ends after the 6th, here it's after the 25th...then we start greeting, Feliz Ano...Regards

Merry Christmas, Hill! I hope you're enjoying every minute of it.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 01:51:17 AM »

Don't you just love that word "burglarize"...?   Whatever happened to the good, old-fashioned "burgle"?

And "Probers are facing a blank wall on..." indeed.    How about "Police have no idea.......etc."?

For some reason, maxsims, "burgle" isn't much used in the Philippines. It's probably because "burgle" is actually a back-formation of the noun "burglar," and it could also be that the word doesn't sit well on the Filipino tongue. I myself find it extremely uncomfortable enunciating "burgle"--the word just seems to have something unnatural about it.

Having been a police-beat reporter myself, I can tell you right off that no reporter who wishes to remain in the good graces of the police in his beat will ever write "Police have no idea..." It's demeaning to them and gives the impression that they are clueless about what they're doing. In contrast, writing "Police are facing a blank wall..." emphasizes the importance of the case and the difficulties in solving it. The use of the word "probers" likewise glamorizes their job somewhat by highlighting the sleuthing aspect rather than just routine police work.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:32:45 AM »

"...Catching the major broadsheets do their English flawlessly well..."

What kind of heading is this?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »
Precisely how it looks, maxsims--a gerund phrase. Do you have any problem with it?

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 03:46:29 PM »
Joe Carillo, you must be kidding!

How do you "do" English?

And if you can, should it not be "doing"?

And "flawlessly well"?    If something is done flawlessly, it's done better than just well.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »
How do people do their English for a newspaper in particular? I'm so glad you asked that question, for it gives me the rare opportunity to count the ways not only for you but for other Forum members as well. It's actually a three-stage process, as I'm sure you know. They think it up or compose it in their minds, they write it with pen or computer keyboard, and the paper's desk editors or section editors edit it or rewrite it for printing. Throughout that process the English of a particular story changes, mutates, evolves until it becomes final copy. This is what I meant by a broadsheet "doing" its English rather than just "writing" it. It's a collaborative effort that involves more than just a one solitary writer.

But shouldn't the verb be "doing" instead of "do"? Yes, that's possible, but only if we are omnipresent or omniscient observers capable of watching the whole process as the paper's editorial chain creates the English for a particular story. Since nobody among us is omnipresent or omniscient, however, we have to settle for "catching the broadsheet do their English flawlessly well" as we read the story on the printed page or on the computer screen. We read the English as it unfolds with every consecutive word we read--the work in progress materializes before our eyes. This is the sense I wanted to convey through the statement "Catching the major broadsheets do their English flawlessly well."

And, yes, I meant "flawlessly well" exactly, in precisely the same sense as "perfectly well"--or is that expression also taboo among prescriptivists? That headline was talking about journalistic English, maxsims, and I'm sure you know as I do that journalistic English has more dimensions or attributes than just good grammar or accuracy. There's also the matter of readability, of language register, of felicity of language. A deficiency in any of these language attributes can make the English of the story flawed. But when all of these attributes are done beyond cavil, beyond the nitpicking and Monday quarterbacking that armchair grammarians sometimes engage in, then we can justifiably say that the broadsheet has done its English "flawlessly well"--not "done better than just well," as you would have it, but "done flawlessly well."     

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 04:51:36 PM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 05:39:13 PM »
When "flawlessly well" becomes as acceptably entrenched as "perfectly well", I will not cavil.   Until then it is just another ugly, ungrammatical neologism.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »
Not for my sake but for the sake of young aspiring writers reading us, maxsims, I wish you were a little more flexible in your English usage pronouncements. I'm afraid that if you were a professor of English writing, many a creative talent would wither on the vine with your stultifying prescriptivism. Why keep new expressions in the darkness of your linguistic closet until some higher grammar authority says they are finally "acceptably entrenched" and safe to use? Do loosen up and let those expressions seize the day!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:11:12 PM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 10:05:16 AM »

Such as"for free" and "like" and "yes, no" and "I could care less" and "off of" and - dare I say it? - "wither in the vine"?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »
With the exception of "I could care less" and "off of," yep! ::) ::)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 12:12:38 PM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 01:03:49 PM »
It's "wither on the vine"...!      :)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »
Thanks for catching that one, maxsims! It's "wither on the vine," all right!  :-[ I will now correct my posting to prevent others from emulating my erroneous preposition usage.