Author Topic: Pakistan Bans Facebook, Wikipedia and Youtube (Par 1)  (Read 4238 times)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Pakistan Bans Facebook, Wikipedia and Youtube (Par 1)
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
Pakistan has always been a troubled country. The US has meddled into their political life more than it could chew. For reasons we do not know, this country is now sliding fast into just another dictatorship, albeit with elected officials. In recent days, this country has effectively shut down Youtube, Wikipedia and Facebook and the reason given was, as usual, lame and daft. A certain Miss Morris did a few caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad but denied having opened another page to spread the word asking other Facebook users to caricature more of the same. Of course, she now regrets having done those caricatures. However, for those authoritarians in Islamic Pakistan, that for them was the last straw: they demanded the shutting down of Facebook after consulting with their Imams. Those fb users in Pakistan were left to sulk and what could they have done when their own freedom was never genuine anyway? Somehow, the rulers there behave like bigots, irrespective of their people's different beliefs and faiths. Do they care? Still, what saddened me was the lost connection I was enjoying with my Pakistani fb friend, Hasnain--a devout muslim but guess what--a free thinker, an open-minded person who didn't offend or easily get offended. His insight was funny yet admirably serious, he loved the banter without the swear words, his wit and humour have  made me admire him. This is the reason why I am so annoyed that his country's leaders, whose thinking and idealism border on insanity, have somehow taken the front road  once again,to take over the lives of their citizens, while depriving them of the IT tools now in general use by the growing number of Pakistani citizens who have found a way to enjoy some freedom of expression. Hasnain is one of the few who has taken advantage of this social networking site.

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pakistan Bans Facebook, Wikipedia and Youtube (Par 1)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:22:34 PM »
Part 2.Today, I received word from my friend Hasnain that he managed to receive all our good wishes via his Office ID and was grateful for our moral support. He drove for fifteen hours, non-stop, with his two sons and wife, at 51 degree Celsius, doing 995 kilometers. Tomorrow, he promised himself to
 do another 600 kilometers. He and his family are on a three-week holiday, so this ban on Facebook, in fact, was a blessing in disguise. Still, he now prays that the ban be lifted when he gets back, although, with bated breath, also wishing not to hear his wife say to him, "I hope they ban Facebook indefinitely." or something to that effect. After all, Hasnain loved  Facebook so much that he admitted to some kind of addiction, which is not surprising since many fb users are now or have been addicted to this form of social networking. ;D Yesterday, Facebook silenced me for almost a day. I was rather puzzled, wondering why, until the realisation dawned on me that my latest status was about the CIA. Yes, I managed to put in two-three comments, and one friend managed to give his insight. A little later, I received a message from another regular friend Debbie, that all her comments were not being published! I told her the same thing. I ended up borrowing my nephew and friend's Wall and there I exposed the "anomaly" of Facebook, or, if they had been collaborating with the CIA. My mind was raising, thinking of what was going to happen to my own page. Is it being monitored? Do they have the right to monitor what I say or think? Were they after those free-thinking "radicals"? I mean, I'm a housewife, why pin the blame on me? Ha ha, I said to myself, with all the emotion of a fearless Jane Fonda.  8)(Part 3 follows) ;D

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:28:01 AM »
Part 3.It was wonderful to hear from my dear fb friend again, Hasnain. He has driven a total of 1,600 km in scorching heat all the way to Islamabad to see his sister. He sounded chirpy this time but I guess it had to do with the messages we posted on  his page, as we all promised to keep his fb page alive for him until he gets back. Unfortunately, he  can only rely on his Office ID and a very good friend of his living abroad is updating him everyday of the fb traffic. Facebook, the mother of all social networking sites, is like water for a lot of people, thirsting for stories, news, updates, photographs, videos and plain old comments from other friends/commenters. He sure misses interacting with us, and of course the feeling is the same. I will always treasure Hasnain's friendship and his mathematical mind, among other things, as well as his keen observation, despite not seeing us. Still, my only hope is that Pakistan would lift its ban and return to normalcy once the Imams of that conservative country realise their error. It is their puerile disregard and selfish attempts to silence its people that would make that country go the way of Afghanistan. Whether or not this is their plan is another matter. I weep for those living in that country where freedom hardly exists; where people are persecuted and prosecuted for what they believe to be right and just. As for the West to look the other way, this is just another way to empower itself by preaching to lesser countries. It is this empowerment, and how it is disabled by the West to suit itself, that is even more frightening. It is my firm belief that, once again, the hand of the USA has a lot to do with it. >:(

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:43:04 PM »
Part 4.At last. Pakistan has just lifted its ban on Facebook. My friend Hasnain is back and how good it is that the ban didn't last that long. Still, ten days is a long time for a country that shows no respect for human rights. Obviously,this has been a rather traumatic time for all Pakistanis, especially with the violence involved in recent days and weeks. The scale of violence now occurring in that country that doesn't even provide basic goods and services, adding to the strain of  volatile politicians and imams to control their citizens would make anyone quiver for their lives. The vulnerability of the country's infrastructure--or the lack of it--will make Pakitan even worse than what it is already. I wish the people of Pakistan good luck. :o

kanajlo

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
I, too, have a FB friend in Pakistan. I do not worry about his religion and he does not worry about mine. In spite of any differences, I think that people of good will can be friends, if they choose to do so.

I am quite sure, however, that governments have ways of reading anything they wish that is written on the internet. But I am not worried. I am a man of peace and have nothing to hide.

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »
Hello, kanajlo! How  nice to know you have a positive outlook on this matter. Indeed, what destroys the basic relationship between countries is actually those running the country who care not an iota about the feelings and welfare of their citizens. We can all get  on together despite what religion a person belongs to--what matters is friendship. The governments of the day (in any country) do not have that god-given right to muzzle and prohibit their citizens from doing what they want to do. Thank you for the reply. It gives others hope to speak up. Never be afraid to do so. Regards! :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:07:14 PM by hill roberts »