Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
A Filipina writer based in the Middle East requested me in mid-2017 for a refresher on the difference between “even though” and “even if.” I don’t recall having discussed the subject in this column nor in Jose Carillo’s English Forum over the years, but I had noticed that some writers—even professional ones—tend to use those two contrastive conjunctions interchangeably. I was therefore glad that the writer, Forum member Miss Mae, asked me to clarify their proper usage.

To begin with, I’d like to emphasize that as a rule, “even though” and “even if” are not interchangeable. “Even though” is used to express a fact or something that’s real or true, while “even if” is used in a supposition or for something imagined or unreal.

The sense of “even though” is “despite the fact that” or “in spite of the fact that,” which is an emphatic way of saying “though” and “although,” as in “Even though the woman searched the park for hours, she found no trace of her lost dog.” Here, the subordinate clause “even though the woman searched the park for hours” presents a contrastive factual premise to the outcome that she “found no trace of her lost dog.”

In contrast, the sense of “even if” is “regardless of what the condition might be” or “whether or not a particular condition or situation applies,” as in “Even if it floods in Manila tonight, I have to make it to the airport for my flight to Sydney.” Here, the subordinate clause “even if it floods in Manila tonight” is a conjectural condition in opposition to the speaker’s firmness in making it to the airport for his flight.

As a rule, “even if” is used for an unreal situation or supposition, as in “Even if I had the money, I wouldn’t buy that gaudy car” (the reality is the speaker doesn’t have the money); and “even though” for a real situation with an unexpected outcome, as in “Even though I have the money, there’s nothing I can buy it with in this expensive neighborhood” (the reality is the speaker does have the money).

There are possible borderline cases, though, where both “even though” and “even if” will work. This depends on the speaker’s belief or frame of mind. Take this question: “What makes you insist on running for president even though you are not qualified?” Here, the questioner is convinced or knows that the person referred is, in fact, unqualified. In contrast, if the questioner is unsure if that person isn’t qualified, “even if” could be used as well: “What makes you insist on running for president even if you are not qualified?”

This other grammar question was posted by Edward G. Lim a few days earlier on my Facebook page:

“Hi, Joe! I heard a couple of years ago a gentleman who said ‘I’m satisfied of what I’ve done in boxing.’ It doesn’t sound right to me. ‘Satisfied of’ isn’t a common construction, but why is it wrong, if it is indeed wrong? The more I hear such constructions, the more they sound acceptable to me.”

My reply to Edward:

The sentence you presented doesn’t sound right to me either. The right usage is “satisfied with”: “I’m satisfied with what I’ve done in boxing.” This doesn’t mean though that “satisfied of” is grammatically wrong; it just so happens that “satisfied with” is the widely accepted usage.

There’s really no inherent, arguable logic in using the preposition “with” rather than “of” after the adjective “satisfied”; educated native English speakers just happen to have grown accustomed to saying “satisfied with.” In fact, if you happen to be marooned in an island where the idiom is “satisfied of” among a population of, say, 100 English speakers, you’d surely find it acceptable and sounding right in perhaps less than a year.

Read this essay and listen to its voice recording in The Manila Times:
How the conjunctions “even though” and “even if” differ

(Next: Looking back to a bad English grammar syndrome)       January 25, 2024                                                                                              

Visit Jose Carillo’s English Forum, http://josecarilloforum.com. You can follow me on Facebook and X (Twitter) and e-mail me at j8carillo@yahoo.com.
How come that there's a surging scholarly movement in not a few North American universities these days on the cultural impact of the hugely popular singer-entertainer Taylor Swift--a movement that approaches the phenomenal influence of the singer-entertainer Madonna on feminist cultural studies in the early 1990s?

An extensive but quizzical look at this unsettling academic phenomenon is taken by Michael Dango, assistant professor of English and media studies at Beloit College in Wisconsin in his article "Revisiting Madonna-ology in the Era of Taylor Swift Studies" in the January 12, 2024 issue of the Los Angeles Review of Books website.

IMAGE CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES APPEARING IN FORBES MAGAZINE
Taylor Swift performs during Rio de Janeiro tour, November 19, 2023

Prof. Dango observes somewhat quizzically that the movement is being done something like a PR campaign: "Maybe there’s some mild sexism or mild ageism—depending on who you think typically comprises Swift’s audience—in assuming the average Swiftie does not read, or at least does not read just for kicks. But everyone knows newspaper subscriptions, library memberships, and college English enrollments are declining... And what makes Swift so ideal for that campaign is that hers is a kind of celebrity organized by relatability, which means she invites her fans not to gawk but to imitate."

Read Michael Dango's "Revisiting Madonna-ology in the Era of Taylor Swift Studies" in full in the LA Review of Books website now!

RELATED READING IN ATLANTIC.COM:
Taylor Swift at Harvard
Why the pop superstar’s work is worthy of study
Lounge / Getting to know the world’s 6 most aesthetically-challenged species
« Last post by Joe Carillo on January 15, 2024, 10:51:24 AM »
In DiscoverMagazine.com’s January 9, 2024 issue, writer Cody Cottler surveys the more aesthetically-challenged species that thrive in various parts of the world.

He ranks these six as the ugliest among them: (1) the Damascus goat, (2) the blobfish, (3) the naked mole rat, (4) the proboscis monkey, (5) the aye-aye monkey of Madagascar, and (6) the dozens of species of horseshoe bats in Eurasia and Africa.

IMAGE CREDIT: FOTOPANORAMA360/SHUTTERSTOCK
The aesthetically challenged Damascus goat ranks No. 1 in bad looks

Cody comments wryly but with a dash of self-deprecating humor on behalf of his fellow humans: “As a society we’re especially fond of animals we deem beautiful, cute, majestic, or otherwise attractive: peacocks, corgis, Arabian horses. But maybe these nice-to-look-at creatures don’t need any more attention. Instead, let’s take time to appreciate the weird and homely animals we share the planet with — haven’t we all at some point counted ourselves among them?”

Read in full Cody Cottler’s “Here are 6 of the ugliest animals in the world” in DiscoverMagazine.com now!
In his article “Earth’s Wobble Wreaks Havoc on Astronomers—and Astrologers, Too” in the January 12, 2024 issue of ScientificAmerican.com, professional astronomer and science communicator Phil Plait explains that the Earth has two major motions in and through space—the daily spin it makes around its axis (diurnal rotation) and its yearly orbit around the Sun (annual revolution). Other than this, he says, the Earth goes through a third little-known motion called precession that makes it slightly wobble upon its rotational axis.

IMAGE CREDIT: CLIMATE.NASA.GOV

Altogether, the centrifugal force of the Earth’s spin makes its equator bulge, the Sun’s gravity pulls on that misaligned bulge, and the gravity of the Moon that’s orbiting the Earth yanks on that bulge as well. The outcome is that the direction of Earth’s axis slowly wobbles in space, making a complete circle once every 26,000 years or so.

“While the [Earth’s] wobble is pretty big, it takes a long time to play out,” astronomer Plait says. “Over a human lifetime, the effect is so small as to be unnoticeable. But over humanity’s lifetime, the effect has been not only noticeable but profound. Earth’s wobble has affected climate, navigation and our calendar. It’s even had an impact on pop music.”

Plait then dwells in some detail on the impact of this wobble on astronomy and astrology as well as on history and literature.

Read in full Phil Plait’s “Earth’s Wobble Wreaks Havoc on Astronomers—And Astrologers, Too” in ScientificAmerican.com now!
PLAYLIST UPDATE FOR JANUARY 6 - 12, 2023 OF JOSE CARILLO ENGLISH FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 15 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings published in the Forum in previous years:

1. Getting To Know English: “The grammar in English for avoiding blame”

2. Use and Misuse: “Why do many jobseekers write applications in strange, convoluted, stilted English?”

3. Students’ Sounding Board: “The proper way to construct sentences for reported speech”

4. Going Deeper Into Language: “Subordinate clauses don't always play second fiddle to main clauses”

5. Essay by Jose Carillo: “When even the passive voice isn't enough”

6. Getting To Know English: “Schemes as fancier forms of wordplay – 2”

7. Your Thoughts Exactly Retrospective: “Outrage over a wasted investment in English proficiency”

8. Advocacies Retrospective: “A critique of the DEC’s Grade 3 ‘Let’s Get Better in English’ learning material” by Antpnio Calipjo Go, Forum Contributor

9. Language Humor at its Fines: “24 mind-boggling imponderables to think through”

10. Time Out From English Grammar “Are humans hijacking their own evolution and of everything else’s?”

11. Advice and Dissent: “Dead Sea Scroll fragments acquired by U.S. Bible museum are forgeries”

12. Readings in Language: “Travails with learning just a smattering of Latin”

13. Forum Lounge Retrospective: “The one single thing that brought them all to America”

14. Notable Works by Our Very Own (A Retrospective): “Fil-Am blogger thrives on her uncommon freedom to negotiate the web”

15. Essays by Jose Carillo: “Doing battle with the most irritating phrases in English”

Getting to Know English / The grammar in English for avoiding blame
« Last post by Joe Carillo on January 10, 2024, 11:58:57 PM »
When an awful act or serious mistake is made, particularly one that leads to a disastrous or tragic outcome, rare indeed is the soul that comes out in the open to take the blame for it. The usual response of the culpable is to ascribe the deed to somebody else or something else: “They had me scoop the money from the vault at gunpoint.” (By saying this, the perpetrator of an inside job is trying to extricate himself from the crime.) “An earthquake made the mountain unleash the deadly mudslide.” (Actually, loggers had ruthlessly stripped the mountain of every inch of its forest cover.) “The steel gate’s collapse caused the people to stampede.” (The crowd-control measures simply were too puny for so large a mass of humanity aiming to get rich quick.)

Causative verb. The English language has, in fact, evolved a special verb form to make people avoid acknowledging responsibility—if only for the moment—when caught in such situations. That verb form is the causative verb, which carries out an action that causes another action to happen. In the three sentences given as examples above, in particular, “have” is the causative verb in the first, causing the action “scoop” to happen; “make” is the causative verb in the second, causing the action “unleash” to happen; and “cause” is the causative verb in the third, causing the action “stampede” to happen. In each case, the crime or calamitous outcome is acknowledged but no one has accepted responsibility for it.

However, causative verbs are not only meant to make people avoid taking responsibility for things that have gone sour or disastrous. They are generally also used to indicate the sort of actions that people don’t do themselves but allow, ask, or force other people to do:Emily’s supervisor permitted her to leave early today.” “Our landlady reminded us to pay our overdue rent.” “The thieves forced the tourists to hand over their jewelry.”

Note that in a causative construction, the subject doesn’t actually do the action of the operative verb but only causes the object to do that action. In the last example above, for instance, the subject is “the thieves” and the object is “the tourists,” and the causative verb “force” makes this object do the action of handing over the jewelry.

The other most commonly used causative verbs are “allow,” “assist,” “convince,” “employ,” “help,” “hire,” “let,” “motivate,” “remind,” “require,” and “urge.” When used in a sentence, practically all of these causative verbs are followed by an object (a noun or pronoun) that’s followed by an infinitive: “We allowed foreigners to invest in the local mining industry.” “The recruiter convinced me to leave for Jeddah at once.” “The desperate applicant employed deceit to get the plum job.”

The only notable exceptions to this pattern are the causative verbs “have,” “make,” and “let.” They are followed by a noun or pronoun serving as an object, but this time what follows the object is not an infinitive but the base form of the verb (meaning its infinitive form without the “to”): “I had my fellow investors sign the incorporation papers yesterday.” “They made him finish writing the book in only five weeks.” “We let the students pick the class schedules they want.”

IMAGE CREDIT: ZIM ACADEMY.VN

Factitive verb. Like the causative verb, another type of verb that exhibits peculiar behavior is the so-called factitive verb. While the usual transitive verb can take only one direct object, a factitive verb actually needs two of them. There are only a few of its kind, however, among them are the factitive verbs “choose,” “elect,” “judge,” “adjudge,” “make,” “name,” and “select.”

Here’s how a factitive verb works: “The prestigious finance magazine last night chose our company ‘Best at Consumer Goods’ in its annual poll.” Here, “choose” is the factitive verb, “our company” is the direct object, and “‘Best at Consumer Goods’” is the object complement—all three in tight, uninterrupted interlock.

The grammar in English for avoiding blame

(Next: How the conjunctions “even though” and “even if” differ)          January 18, 2024                                                                                              

Visit Jose Carillo’s English Forum, http://josecarilloforum.com. You can follow me on Facebook and X (Twitter) and e-mail me at j8carillo@yahoo.com.
(This article has been updated on the occasion of the ongoing Philippine Book Festival 2024 at the World Trade Center Manila, Pasay City, Phlippines, from April 25-28. Literary enthusiasts, students, families, and the general public are invited to the festival that features the best of Philippine books and periodicals along with workshops, exhibits, and various other activities. Entrance is free.)

When Jose Carillo’s English-language services company ran a want ad for editors sometime in 2003, close to 100 applicants applied by e-mail. Practically all of them had at least an AB degree in English, mass communication, or the social sciences; three were magna cum laudes and six cum laudes; and 10 even had Master’s degrees. Disconcertingly, however, most of their job application letters were worded and constructed in unbelievably strange, convoluted, stilted English like the one that's reproduced below verbatim:

“Dear Sir/Madam:   

“Greetings in Peace!   

“Responding with utmost immediacy to your job opportunity ad published on January 6,    ____ in the __________, I wish to  inform you of my fervor interest in applying for the position of Editor. I am an AB graduate of the University of ______ with distinct recognition as a leader and achiever in the field of debating and as editor-in-chief of the student publication, journals, and other newsletters of the academe.   

[The applicant then gives a glowing three-paragraph work experience description.]

“For your evaluation, I am enclosing my résumé as an attachment as a first step in exploring the possibilities of employment in your client’s organization. I would appreciate hearing from you soon.

“Thank you for your consideration and God Bless.”

In his book English Plain and Simple whose third updated edition went off the press last September, Jose Carillo says the English of such job application letters is obviously not the English to use when you want to present yourself in the most favorable way to a prospective employer.

He says: “The truth is that many of us who write in English distrust our own ability to present ourselves in a good light. No matter how educated or experienced we are, we often instinctively assume the persona and voice of someone else when we sit down to write. We take refuge in some pseudo-legal mumbo-jumbo that we think will impress our reader or listener.

“And once we get started in this legal-sounding language, we get snared and become addicted to it. Instead of writing as we would talk, we habitually grasp at these arcane words and phrases in the mistaken belief that like some mantra, they will miraculously make things happen for us.”   

Carillo’s book English Plain and Simple, which won the National Book Award from the Manila Critics Circle upon its publication in 2005, makes every effort to address this very serious and embarrassing communication inadequacy. It provides systematic but easy-to-follow instructions in English writing that students and teachers alike need to continually develop so they can communicate their thoughts and ideas clearly, simply, and confidently to particular audiences.
-------------------
English Plain and Simple in its third updated edition and Jose Carillo's earlier book The 10 Most Annoying English Grammar Errors" are available at Manila Times Booth #P6 of the Philippine Book Festival 2024, World Trade Center, Pasay City, Philippines, from April 25-28, 2024. For volume orders of 50 copies or more, call the Manila Times Publishing Corp. at Tel. 02-8524-5664 to 67 locals 117 and 222, or 099855388871. Copies can also be ordered for direct delivery to you by Lazada and Shopee.
Use and Misuse / The grammar in English for avoiding blame
« Last post by Joe Carillo on January 08, 2024, 10:38:33 PM »
When an awful act or serious mistake is made, particularly one that leads to a disastrous or tragic outcome, rare indeed is the soul that comes out in the open to take the blame for it. The usual response of the culpable is to ascribe the deed to somebody else or something else: “They had me scoop the money from the vault at gunpoint.” (By saying this, the perpetrator of an inside job is trying to extricate himself from the crime.) “An earthquake made the mountain unleash the deadly mudslide.” (Actually, loggers had ruthlessly stripped the mountain of every inch of its forest cover.) “The steel gate’s collapse caused the people to stampede.” (The crowd-control measures simply were too puny for so large a mass of humanity aiming to get rich quick.)

Causative verb. The English language has, in fact, evolved a special verb form to make people avoid acknowledging responsibility—if only for the moment—when caught in such situations. That verb form is the causative verb, which carries out an action that causes another action to happen. In the three sentences given as examples earlier, in particular, “have” is the causative verb in the first, causing the action “scoop” to happen; “make” is the causative verb in the second, causing the action “unleash” to happen; and “cause” is the causative verb in the third, causing the action “stampede” to happen. In each case, the crime or calamitous outcome is acknowledged but no one has accepted responsibility for it.

However, causative verbs are not only meant to make people avoid taking responsibility for things that have gone sour or disastrous. They are generally also used to indicate the sort of actions that people don’t do themselves but allow, ask, or force other people to do: “Emily’s supervisor permitted her to leave early today.” “Our landlady reminded us to pay our overdue rent.” “The thieves forced the tourists to hand over their jewelry.”

Note that in a causative construction, the subject doesn’t actually do the action of the operative verb but only causes the object to do that action. In the last example above, for instance, the subject is “the thieves” and the object is “the tourists,” and the causative verb “force” makes this object do the action of handing over the jewelry.

The other most commonly used causative verbs are “allow,” “assist,” “convince,” “employ,” “help,” “hire,” “let,” “motivate,” “remind,” “require,” and “urge.” When used in a sentence, practically all of these causative verbs are followed by an object (a noun or pronoun) that’s followed by an infinitive: “We allowed foreigners to invest in the local mining industry.” “The recruiter convinced me to leave for Jeddah at once.” “The desperate applicant employed deceit to get the plum job.”

The only notable exceptions to this pattern are the causative verbs “have,” “make,” and “let.” They are followed by a noun or pronoun serving as an object, but this time what follows the object is not an infinitive but the base form of the verb (meaning its infinitive form without the “to”): “I had my fellow investors sign the incorporation papers yesterday.” “They made him finish writing the book in only five weeks.” “We let the students pick the class schedules they want.”

IMAGE CREDIT: ZIM ACADEMY.VN

Factitive verb. Like the causative verb, another type of verb that exhibits peculiar behavior is the so-called factitive verb. While the usual transitive verb can take only one direct object, a factitive verb actually needs two of them. There are only a few of its kind, however, among them are the factitive verbs “choose,” “elect,” “judge,” “adjudge,” “make,” “name,” and “select.”

Here’s how a factitive verb works: “The prestigious finance magazine last night chose our company ‘Best at Consumer Goods’ in its annual poll.” Here, “choose” is the factitive verb, “our company” is the direct object, and “‘Best at Consumer Goods’” is the object complement—all three in tight, uninterrupted interlock.

The grammar in English for avoiding blame in English

(Next: How the conjunctions “even though” and “even if” differ)             January 18, 2024                                                                                              

PLAYLIST UPDATE FOR DECEMBER 30, 2023 - JANUARY 5, 2024 OF JOSE CARILLO ENGLISH FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 15 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings published in the Forum in previous years:

1. Getting To Know English Better: “When simple indicative sentences can’t drive home our point”

2. Misplaced Informality Retrospective: “Is ‘Hi!’ proper to begin a job application letter?”

3. You Asked Me This Question: “The perfect gerund and its uses”

4. Dealing With Annoying English Grammar Errors (17th in a series of 20): “The annoying misuse of commonly used verb-pairs”

5. Readings in Language Retrospective: “‘Babel No More’ explores the upper limits of being multilingual”

6. Badly Written, Badly Spoken Retrospective: “A noun modified by ‘respective’ should always be plural in form”

7. Use and Misuse: “For good or ill, the Filipino word ‘hulidap’ enters global lexicon”

8. You Asked Me This Question: “A grammar conversation on parenthetical usage”

9. Language Humor At Its Finest: “Some really amazing anagrams”

10. My Media English Watch: “Drawing the line against misplaced modifiers in sports writing”

FILIPINA MIGRANT ARLENE SALVADOR, JUNIOR GOLFER IN CALIFORNIA

11. Essays by Joe Carillo: “The great gobbledygook-generating machine”

12. Essays by Joe Carillo: “Shoptalk on jargon and gobbledygook”

IMAGE CREDIT: EXAMPLES.YOURDICTIONARY.COM

13. Students’ Sounding Board:  “What happens when people don’t know enough to know they don’t know?”

14. Getting to Know English Better: “Rx for strays, danglers, and squinters”

15. A Forum Lounge Retrospective: “A beauty and a love verboten” by Angel B. Casillan, Forum Contributor

Most of the day-to-day writing that we do consists of simple, plainspoken indicative sentences in the normal subject-verb-predicate construction pattern, as in “We wrote the refrigerator manufacturer about its poor customer service.” Sometimes, out of impatience or anger, we make such indicative sentences more forceful by ending them with an exclamation mark: “We wrote the refrigerator manufacturer about its poor customer service!” Then, if the veracity of our declaration is challenged or denied, we feel the need for an even more forceful way of presenting our case or making our point.

This is when we take recourse to the emphatic tenses, as in “We did write that refrigerator manufacturer about its poor customer service!” or, to give even more emotional force to our statement, perhaps express it in the form of an inverted sentence, as in “The poor customer service of that refrigerator manufacturer is what we complained about!

Verbs in English language have two special forms of the emphatic tenses to emphasize the actions they describe. The present emphatic emphasizes actions or conditions happening in the present, and the past emphatic emphasizes those that occurred in the past. More commonly, however, the emphatic forms are used in two types of sentence constructions where emphasis is not intended—(1) to work with the adverb “not” in negative sentences, and (2) to form questions or the interrogative mode, in which the normal sentence construction is inverted. We must understand this distinction clearly to avoid mistakes in using the emphatic tenses.

The present emphatic tense of verbs is formed by putting the present-tense verb “do” or “does” ahead of their basic present form. Here are examples of the present emphatic tense used for emphasis: “I do like apples.” “She does think fast.” “They do act slowly.” The intent is to express the action or state more forcefully. In contrast, here are examples when emphasis is not intended: “The group does not agree.” (using “does not” simply to form a negative sentence), and “Does the jury have a verdict?” (using “does” to form a question).

The past emphatic tense of verbs is formed by putting the past-tense “did” ahead of their basic present form. Examples of the past emphatic tense used for emphasis: “I did write that letter.” “She did come as expected.” “They did pay on schedule.” Examples that simply negate or ask but don’t intend to emphasize: “He did not deliver as promised.” “Didn’t you finish the work last night?

Sentences that use the emphatic tense for emphasis are either affirmative or negative responses to a persistent question, whether stated or only implied. See what happens when this question is asked: “Did you really write that letter?” The emphatic answer would either be “I did write that letter” or “No, I didn’t write that letter.” This is the situational context for using the emphatic forms. It conveys the sense of the speaker either explicitly owning or denying an act, or claiming to be correct in his or her belief regarding the action of others.

Another device in English for emphasis, one that is often misunderstood and much maligned, is the inverted sentence. This grammatical form, in which the verb comes ahead the subject, does present agreement problems and possible confusion when used too often. Here’s an example in verse form in Shakespeare’s play “Romeo and Juliet”: “Away from light steals home my heavy son /And private in his chamber pens himself...

Note that it’s the verb “away” that starts the sentence, with the subject “son” far removed from it. The normal-order sentence would go as follows: “My heavy son steals home away from light...” A heightened emotional state can be felt in the first, a dry forthrightness in the second. That difference comes from the change in the form, order, and rhythm of the language itself.

It is, of course, not only in poetry where inverted sentences find excellent use. They can give prose much-welcome variety and punch when used judiciously in a sea of normal-order sentences. Feel the emotional difference between the following normal-order sentences and their corresponding inverted sentences: (1) “Her behavior could be explained in no other way.” “In no other way could her behavior be explained.” (2) “I saw only then the possibilities of the new business.” “Only then did I see the possibilities of the new business.” (3) “She didn’t realize that he had deceived her till she got the letter from a total stranger.” “Not until she got the letter from a total stranger did she realize that he had deceived her.”

When using inverted sentences, however, we must make an extra effort to double-check agreement of the verb with the subject. This subject always follows the number of the verb and not of the nouns or pronouns that come before it: “In the grassy plains lives the last antelope.” It would seem that the singular verb “lives” should be the plural “live” instead to agree with “grassy plains,” but this proves to be not the case; the true subject is not “the grassy plains” but the singular “the last antelope.” See also what happens if the sentence were written another way: “In the grassy plain live the last antelopes.” In this case, the subject “the last antelopes” is plural, so the verb must also take the plural form “live” to agree with it.

Take note, too, that sentences beginning with “there” or “here” are actually in the inverted form: “There is a can of corned beef in the cupboard.” “Here comes the parade.” “There” and “here” are, of course, not the subjects. It is “corned beef” in the first, and “parade” in the second. The two sentences are actually emphatic forms of the normal-order “A can of corned beef is in the cupboard” and “The parade comes.”
-----------------
From the book English Plain and Simple: No-Nonsense Ways to Learn the Global Language by Jose A. Carillo © 2004 by the author © 2010 by the Manila Times Publishing Corp. All rights reserved.

When simple indicative sentences can't drive home our point

(Next week: The grammar for avoiding blame in English)            January 11,2024

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10