Author Topic: Adverbs first?  (Read 7225 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Adverbs first?
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:33:29 PM »
Should an adverb be always placed before a verb? I wasn't able to get this particular sentence right until I interchanged the words!

Unfortunately, Liam (seem, also) to have difficulty learning foreign languages. I just hope we don't get lost and have to ask for directions.

My first answer that was marked wrong: Unfortunately, Liam seems also to have difficulty learning foreign languages. I just hope we don't get lost and have to ask for directions.

My second answer that was marked right: Unfortunately, Liam also seems to have difficulty learning foreign languages. I just hope we don't get lost and have to ask for directions.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:19:21 PM by Miss Mae »

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Adverbs first?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
I'm neither a Briton nor an English language wizard, but I considerably believe I can offer sort of assistance here. My understanding about the word 'also' is that it's a conjuctive adverb on a par with other adverbs like 'in addition' and 'additionally' and it serves to modify the whole verb phrase rather than an individual verb. Consequently, my judgement is that the construction ''also seems to have.'' is truly grammatically correct as opposed to ''seems also to have.'' To me, ''also seems to have'', in relation to your above sentence, means in addition to previously mentioned problems, the subject has this another problem. The meaning can't be evoked by ''seems also to have'', which I can't even explain its intended sense. My answer might be off considering that I'm but a beginning grammar studier; I suppose Carillo would conclusively solve the matter when he comes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:00:18 PM by Mwita Chacha »

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »
Thank you still, Mwita Chacha! I really just thought you can place adverbs anywhere in a sentence.

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »
Thanks! But why did you think I can place [an] adverb anywhere in a sentence? I guess you intended to say I thought one can place an adverb anywhere in a sentence.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:37:16 PM »
You got me there!  ;)

andydreew

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »
Hmm interesting way to express your ideas via sites I love to read it carefully. I refer you please join it and enhance your knowledge…..
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:37:47 AM by Joe Carillo »

johncarton

• Initiate
    • MSN Messenger - seo@bookofraonlinespielens.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - johncarton
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - johncarton
    • View Profile
    • Book of Ra
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »
thanks for given wonderful information.

getsaddi

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:32:36 PM »
Great writing skills really awesome effort done by the author i really appreciate it.
Business Valuations

Manuscriptedit

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
An Adverb qualifies a Verb, so it is used before verb when there is no object in a sentence, but when there is an object noun in the sentence, Adverb is used after the subject noun.