Author Topic: Playlist Update for August 12 - 18, 2023 and for August 5-11, 2023  (Read 4267 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
PLAYLIST UPDATES, AUGUST 12-18 AND AUGUST 5-11, 2023 OF THE FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

August 12-18, 2023:
(14 postings)

Simply click the web links to the 14 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings from the same weekly period in August of previous years:

1. Getting To Know English Better: “‘The art of avoiding voice shifts”

2. You Asked Me This Question: “The strange grammar of ‘need’ as modal auxiliary”

3. Getting to Know English: “When the word ‘only’ goes haywire”

4. My Media English Watch: “Fused or run-on sentences are bad for the health of journalistic prose”

5. Essays by Joe Carillo Retrospective: “Do kingfishers eat butter?”

6. Very Interesting Reading You Might Have Missed: “How the human brain establishes and reinforces beliefs as truths”

7. Students Sounding Board: “How to use to ‘have been’ and ‘having been’”

8. Getting to Know English: “Reducing adverb clauses for brevity”

9. Advice and Dissent Retrospective: “Getting our Philippine history right after 500 years – Part 19”   

10. Language Humor at its Finest: “Some rapier-sharp insults about the target’s personal appearance”

11. The Forum Lounge Retrospective: “What Peter Dinklage walked away from to become a resounding success”   

12. You Asked Me This Question: “‘To’-small word, big confusion”   

13. The Forum Lounge Retrospective: “A wheelchair dancer lives up her dream” by Tonybau, Forum Contributor

14. Badly Written, Badly Spoken: “And we thought we’d find typos only in newspapers and books!”

August 5-11,2023
(10 postings)

PLAYLIST UPDATES, AUGUST 5 - 11, 2023 OF THE FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 10 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings from the same weekly period in August of previous years:

1. Getting To Know English Better: “Proper and improper use of tense shifts”

2. Going Deeper Into Language: “Watching out against the fallacies of relevance–1“

3. Time Out From English Grammar: “A fascinating book to help you get rid of your science phobia“

4. Essays by Joe Carillo: “The English mealtime vocabulary“

5. Advice and Dissent Retrospective: “Getting our Philippine history right after 500 years – Part 19”   

6. Getting to Know English: Avoiding excessive negation in our writing

7. Language Humor at its Finest: “Technical Terms in Plain English”

8. You Asked Me This Question: “Can superlative attributes apply to any number of comparables?”

9. Language Humor at its Finest: “Choice bits of modern wisdom”

10. Essays by Jose Carillo: “One-Word, Two-Word Mix-ups”

« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 11:59:45 PM by Joe Carillo »