Author Topic: Starting a sentence with "because"  (Read 4623 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Starting a sentence with "because"
« on: June 30, 2013, 03:21:26 PM »
My elementary English teacher used to say: never start a sentence with because. But recently, I can't help myself from doing it...

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starting a sentence with "because"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »
Your elementary school teacher either was not very conversant in English grammar or deliberately intended to mislead you. But now that you're in the right place, I'm positive you'll slowly unlearn all wrong ideas stuffed in your mind by incompetent trainers like this one.
As you might be aware of, the word ''because'' belongs to a group of grammar terms in English language known as subordinating conjunctions. Subordinating conjunctions are words or phrases that join an independent clause (a group of words that has a subject and a verb and expresses a complete idea) to a dependent clause (a group of words that has a subject and a verb but doesn't express a complete idea) to form a compex sentence. The function of a subordinating conjunction is basically twofold: To provide the necessary transition between ideas in the sentence and to reduce the importance of one idea so that the reader understands which between the two is more important than the other.
But you ask if it's correct to start a sentence with the subordinating conjunction ''because.'' The answer to that question is absolutely YES. The only convention to follow in such usage is to put a comma at the end of a dependent clause if ''because'' introduces a complex sentence. On the other hand, comma is uncalled for if the independent clause comes before the ''because'' dependent clause. So ''Because I'm ill, I failed to attend the meeting yesterday,'' but ''I failed to attend the meeting yesterday because I'm ill.'' Important is to note that the rule applies not only to ''because'' but to all other types of subordinating conjunctions.
I hope I've helped in some way to allay your confusion. Partially prepared teachers can really create very serious problems for their students.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:16:41 PM by Mwita Chacha »

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »
I guess so... Thank you.

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:39:55 AM »
Guessing what? Learning is not the matter of guessing.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
I guess you're right that I already know the answer to my question. I just had thought that I better confirm it--once and for all--with a nationally awarded writer and editor and an internationally awarded corporate communicator to be sure.

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »
I guess you're right that I already know the answer to my question. I just had thought that I better confirm it--once and for all--with a nationally awarded writer and editor and an internationally awarded corporate communicator to be sure.
But the nationally awarded writer ignored your question. How do you feel about that?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:51:41 AM »
Simply for the record, I didn't ignore Miss Mae's question. It was just that I was out of town at the time without Internet access and Mwita Chacha answered the question before I could. At any rate, I think this is a matter that can be more amicably discussed rather than being allowed to rankle between the two of you. We can agree to disagree in the Forum's discussion boards and still remain friends.

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:31:05 PM »
I've introduced major changes into my posting answering Miss Mae's question. The response was wholly misleading especially in the way I defined independent and depedent clauses, making its description about how commas are positioned in ''because'' sentences entirely wrong. I deeply apologize for the oversight, but I am also disappointed that no one spotted a mistake as serious and noticeable as that one.