Author Topic: Danglers, misplaced modifier, bad word choice spoil a fine media grammar day  (Read 10032 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
This looks like a good-to-very-good English grammar day for the major Metro Manila broadsheets! I have just finished going over the news, feature, and editorial content of three of them and on the whole, their English grammar and usage appear to be admirably airtight—except for two dangling modifying phrases in the same sentence in a lifestyle feature and a wrong word choice in another lifestyle feature, both in the same broadsheet; and a solitary misplaced modifying phrase in a sports column in another broadsheet.

IMAGE CREDIT: BRAINFALL.COM

Here’s the passage with two dangling modifiers in the lifestyle section of the first broadsheet:

“One night in the city, with bottle of cold beer in hand, the theory hits me harder than 10 shots of tequila.”

And the lead sentence with a wrong word choice, also in the lifestyle section of that broadsheet:

“In its constant quest to provide the luxury watch market with better precision instruments,’ Swiss watchmaker [the brand] recently unveiled a new, exclusive movement dubbed as Caliber B01.”

The sports column in the other broadsheet has this lead sentence that’s spoiled by modifier misplacement:

“When the FIBA special commission decided to uphold the SBP’s authority to govern basketball in the country as a federation affiliate and NSA in Geneva the other day, the sport’s major stakeholders heaved a sigh of relief.”

MY CRITIQUE AND SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENTS:

1. First broadsheet: Dangling modifier in a lifestyle story

One night in the city, with bottle of cold beer in hand, the theory hits me harder than 10 shots of tequila.”

We can probably forgive the wrong use of the present tense “hits” in that sentence—it should be in the past tense but it’s likely only a proofreading error—but I dare say that  “one night in the city” and “with bottle of cold beer in hand” are both dangling modifying phrases.

Why?

It’s because both are up front in the sentence and none seems to be modifying any word in that sentence. To begin with, even if any of them does by a stretch, it’s preposterous to think of the noun “city” being modified by the phrase “with bottle of cold beer in hand” (cities don’t nurse a beer, only humans do!) and as preposterous to think of the noun “theory” being modified by that same phrase (theories don’t drink beer either!). And neither would the pronoun “me” in the main clause qualify as the subject of those two modifying phrases, for “me” is in the objective case and can’t be modified by them. In fact, there’s no noun at all in that sentence that can be modified by those two phrases; in other words, that sentence is actually a double dangler!  

We will recall that a dangling modifier is usually a phrase that modifies a word not clearly stated in the sentence, and is often—but not always—located at the beginning of a sentence. Also, a dangling modifier usually functions as an adjective but is unable to clearly modify a particular word in the sentence or, in the worst case, it ends up modifying the wrong word.

Indeed, nothing less than a total rewrite of the sentence in question here is needed to grammatically and logically connect the ideas in those two dangling modifiers to their proper subject. Central to a successful rewrite is, of course, a construction that would convert the objective pronoun “me” into its subjective form “I” so it can become a legitimate subject of the modifying phrases in question.

Here’s a first attempt to remove those two danglers:

One night in the city, with bottle of cold beer in hand, I was hit by a theory that struck me harder than 10 shots of tequila.”

Here, by making the first-person pronoun “I” as the subject of the main clause, we are able to produce a proper subject that’s legitimately modifiable by the modifying phrase “with bottle of cold beer in hand” and, by logical extension, also by the adverbial phrase “one night in the city.”

The problem with that reconstruction, though, is that while it supplies a proper subject to the main clause and gets rid of the two danglers, it forces the main clause to take the passive voice and makes the sentence sound stilted in the process. Worse, like the original sentence, that sentence construction doesn’t make clear where the theory came from, and it unnaturally requires using a synonym of “hit”—“struck” or some such verb (perhaps even “hit” again)—to deliver the description of the theory’s striking action.  

I think we can safely presume that the theory didn’t simply come from nowhere in the darkness of that night but from the mind of the writer himself. With that presumption, we can put the main clause of the sentence in the active voice and come up with this smoother, more elegant construction:    

One night in the city, with bottle of cold beer in hand, I came up with a theory that hit me harder than 10 shots of tequila.”

2. First broadsheet: Wrong word choice in a lifestyle story

“In its constant quest to provide the luxury watch market with better precision instruments,’ Swiss watchmaker [the brand] recently unveiled a new, exclusive movement dubbed as Caliber B01.”

I think most of you will agree with me that the adjective “constant” is improperly used to modify “quest” in that sentence. By definition, “constant” means “marked by firm steadfast resolution or faithfulness,” as in “a constant friend” and—if I may use the title of a movie—A Constant Gardener; and it could also mean “invariable, uniform” or “continually occurring or recurring,” as in “a constant flow” and “a constant revolution.” I don’t think any of these denotations of “constant” properly applies to the noun “quest” in its sense of “an act or instance of seeking.”

More properly, I think, we should be using the adjective “continuing” instead of “constant” to modify actions like “quest,” which in real life is actually pursued off and on and—unlike the rotation of our planet and the revolution of the sun—doesn’t continually occur or recur.

I thus strongly recommend using “continuing” instead to modify “quest” in that sentence:

“In its continuing quest to provide the luxury watch market with better precision instruments,’ Swiss watchmaker [the brand] recently unveiled a new, exclusive movement dubbed as Caliber B01.”

3. Second broadsheet: Misplaced modifier in sports column

“When the FIBA special commission decided to uphold the SBP’s authority to govern basketball in the country as a federation affiliate and NSA in Geneva the other day, the sport’s major stakeholders heaved a sigh of relief.”

After reading this lead sentence, I had to blink my eyes several times before I could figure out what role the phrase “in Geneva the other day” was playing in the scheme of things of that sentence. Was that phrase supposed to modify the noun phrase “as a federation affiliate and NSA,” or was the phrase “the other day” meant to modify only the phrase “NSA in Geneva”? Whatever the author really wanted to say in that lead sentence, it was certainly lost in the sentence construction.

I have since reread that problematic sentence several times and I have come to the conclusion that “in Geneva the other day” is actually a badly misplaced modifying phrase, thus causing my bafflement. Remember now that a misplaced modifying phrase is a group of words positioned or attached to the sentence in the wrong place, or is not placed near enough to the word it’s supposed to modify, so it ends up modifying the wrong word. In this case, “in Geneva the other day” has ended up modifying “a federation affiliate and NSA,” which of course doesn’t make much sense.

Now see what happens when we reposition “in Geneva the other day” in what I think is its proper place in that sentence:

“When the FIBA special commission decided in Geneva the other day to uphold the SBP’s authority to govern basketball in the country as a federation affiliate and NSA, the sport’s major stakeholders heaved a sigh of relief.”

Suddenly everything in the sentence seems to have settled in its rightful place—grammar, semantics, logic, and all!

-----
What do you think of the state of English usage in the Philippine media today? Has it improved or has it worsened? Why do you think so? Click the Reply button to post your thoughts on Jose Carillo’s English Forum.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:09:54 AM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
Joe,

I read your newspapers when I visit your fair land, and it always occurs to me that your journalists have a much stronger grasp of English than their readers.  (I have commented elsewhere in this Forum on the state of English in the Philippines.)

Apart from this, two other elements of the journalism are prominent:

The first is the tendency towards pomposity, which is not unknown in people trying to be effective in a "foreign" language (and therefore the pomposity is unintended).    The second (which irks me considerably) is the national habit of your journos to include their middle initial into their bylines.  I realise that, in a country with a population as large as yours, there will be much duplication of names, but I don't think the use of middle initials does much to aid the reader's discrimination.   Besides, many of the columnists have their pic up, too!

maxsims

• View Profile
Speaking of initials, another habit of Filipino journalists (especially those in metro Manila) is the use of initials (often forming acronyms) to refer to multi-named organisations - and even people.    A little of that goes a long way!  A related habit, that of referring to subjects by their initial syllables (cha-cha for charter change, for example) borders on the frivolous.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Joe,

I read your newspapers when I visit your fair land, and it always occurs to me that your journalists have a much stronger grasp of English than their readers.  (I have commented elsewhere in this Forum on the state of English in the Philippines.)

Apart from this, two other elements of the journalism are prominent:

The first is the tendency towards pomposity, which is not unknown in people trying to be effective in a "foreign" language (and therefore the pomposity is unintended).    The second (which irks me considerably) is the national habit of your journos to include their middle initial into their bylines.  I realise that, in a country with a population as large as yours, there will be much duplication of names, but I don't think the use of middle initials does much to aid the reader's discrimination.   Besides, many of the columnists have their pic up, too!

Speaking of initials, another habit of Filipino journalists (especially those in metro Manila) is the use of initials (often forming acronyms) to refer to multi-named organisations - and even people.    A little of that goes a long way!  A related habit, that of referring to subjects by their initial syllables (cha-cha for charter change, for example) borders on the frivolous.

Like the English-language newspapers in other countries, those in the Philippines have their own unique Englishes as well as levels of proficiency in the language. There might indeed be a tendency in some writers to be little bit high-sounding or, as you say, pompous, but I think it's unwarranted to say that it's the norm for the majority of the more experienced writers, whom I know to be generally level-headed as well as plain and simple in their English. In fact, I dare say that their English is far better than those of writers in the other English-language newspapers in Asia and even in Australia that I have access to on the web.

As to the habit of some Filipino journalists and writers to use middle initials in their by-lines, we locals don't mind it at all. In a geographically small country with a population of over 90,000,000, there's really a very strong likelihood that there will at least be several individuals with exactly the same name as you. I remember that when martial law was declared in the Philippines in 1972, the editor in chief of the daily newspaper where I was then working was "invited" by military intelligence operatives to the army camp for having the same name as a notorious wanted criminal. His middle initial promptly cleared him and he was released in just a matter of minutes. It does pay to use your middle initials in this country.     

Now, as to the use of acronyms in newspapers, I think it's entirely forgivable and tolerable, particularly in headlines and in subsequent mentions in the story of longwinded terms and titles. It even borders on fun and levity when they shorten "charter change" to "cha-cha," which of course was probably originally intended as an allusion to the perky classical dance. But I do think that it borders on the ridiculous and mean-spirited--and a form of terribly unobjective or biased reporting besides--when they shorten "constitutional assembly" to "con-ass." It does sound to me like a snide reference to a part of the body that lets off fetid air. How I wish journalists were a little more circumspect in coining their acronyms--and in avoiding their use for letting off their own private steam about political initiatives they don't like! 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:28:52 PM by Joe Carillo »