Poll

How we should classify conjunctive adverb? Conjunction or adverb?

Should we classify conjunctive adverb the 9th part of speech?
0 (0%)
What is the appropriate definition of the conjunctive adverb so that it can be understood easily by learners?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: conjunctive adverb  (Read 6427 times)

glensky

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
conjunctive adverb
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
Conjunctive adverb has always fascinated me because of its invaluable contribution in writing, especially in "transitions." However, how we should definitely classify conjunctive adverb? Should we classify it as a conjunction? If so, what class does it belong to? Coordinating or subordinating?

If we classify conjunctive adverb as adverb, what kind of adverb it should be? Adverb is a modifier. If so,  does it modify a single word in a sentence?

Ex. She has always been sexy and beautiful all her life; therefore, she is nominated to represent her country in the "Miss World Competition."

"Therefore" is a conjunctive adverb. What specific word does it modify in the sentence above so that it can be classified as an adverb?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:28:24 PM by glensky »

Bunty

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Manuscriptedit
    • Email
Re: conjunctive adverb
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »
A conjunctive adverb brings together two complete thoughts. Each clause can stand on its own as a sentence. The first clause is followed by a semi-colon.  Sometimes there is a comma after the conjunctive adverb. 
Following is a list of conjunctive adverbs: also, anyway, besides, certainly, earlier, finally, further, for instance, for example, however, hence, in addition, instead, later, likewise, moreover, namely, next, now, nevertheless, on the other hand, otherwise, perhaps, so, still, then, therefore, thus, and undoubtedly.
Conjunctive adverbs can be grouped according to function. This may help you understand them a bit better:
Sometimes their function is addition, and examples of these would be: “in addition, next, still, also, and again.”
Comparison is another way they work, such as words like “also, likewise, and similarly”.
Concession is sometimes made with words like “granted and of course”.
Adverbs like “although, instead, in spite of, and regardless”, show a contrast.
Sometimes emphasis is the function, with words like “indeed, of course, and certainly.”
Conjunctive adverbs can illustrate with words such as: “for example, namely, thus, and in conclusion.”
Words that summarize include: “all in all, that is, in summary, and finally.”
Time can be referred to with these words: “before, meanwhile, furthermore, lately, now, since, and thereafter.”     
Bunty

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 02:36:42 PM »
Bunty, thanks for the clear, succinct explanation for the role of the conjunctive adverbs in language. I missed out on glensky's question, which I can see now is now almost four months old. And to glensky, my apologies for the oversight. I'll be more eagle-eyed for postings in the discussion boards after this.

To you, Bunty, thanks again! I hope to hear more from you in the days ahead.

glenn

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:27:40 PM »
To Bunty:

I know what Bunty tries to call attention to. However, I could not see the relevance of his answer to my question.

Indeed, eloquence has never meant to and aimed at making irrelevant answer relevant. Perhaps, he can make another try to make his answer relevant.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:53:27 PM by glenn »