Author Topic: Another green string  (Read 3313 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Another green string
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »
To what extent must we believe in a computer (in terms of its grammar checking capacity, at least)? I can't see any significant difference if I insist on what I want or follow its advice with this sentence:

That and a knowledge of the region are the two things necessary to establish a business in Dubai.

It maintains that I should delete the article before the word knowledge. But doing so doesn't seem to sound right. What must I do?

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another green string
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
P.S.
Why was this sentence spared?

The Foreign Investment Act (R.A. 7042 and R.A. 8179) mandates and/or guarantees interested foreigners a 40% ownership.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
Regarding these two sets of sentences in your consecutive postings above:

(1a) "That and a knowledge of the region are the two things necessary to establish a business in Dubai."

(1b) "That and knowledge of the region are the two things necessary to establish a business in Dubai."

(2a) "The Foreign Investment Act (R.A. 7042 and R.A. 8179) mandates and/or guarantees interested foreigners a 40% ownership."

(2b)"The Foreign Investment Act (R.A. 7042 and R.A. 8179) mandates and/or guarantees interested foreigners 40% ownership."

In each case, the first version that uses the article "a" is scrupulously grammatically correct usage; the second version that dispenses with "a" is idiomatic usage. Both are correct; use your discretion in choosing which of them you are more comfortable with. Don't make your computer's grammar check program override your grammar decisions all the time. After all, writing remains an art form rather than a science.

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:43:32 AM »
How about the sentences below?

a. The company conducts a research on/about fecund mango production.

b. The company conducts research on/about fecund mango production.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »
Regarding the following sentences that you presented:

“The company conducts a research on/about fecund mango production.”
“The company conducts research on/about fecund mango production.”

The idiomatic usage is the second sentence without the article “a” before “research.” The first sentence with the article “a,” although grammatically unassailable, sounds stilted. In such situations, it’s advisable to go for the better-sounding sentence.

There’s also a difference in the intended meaning of the two sentences. The first sentence (with the article “a”) denotes a particular and specific research study on fecund mango production; as such, it can be better stated with the word “study” after “research,” as follows: “The company conducts a research study on/about fecund mango production.”

In contrast, the second sentence (without the article “a”) means to say that the company does research on fecund mango production as one of or among its operating activities. The word “research” is used in a generic sense and doesn't refer to a particular research study, unlike in the first sentence.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 08:17:08 PM »
Thank you, Sir!