Author Topic: Playlist Update for Aug. 26 - Sept. 1, 2023 of the Forum's Facebook Gateway  (Read 4031 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
PLAYLIST UPDATE FOR AUGUST 26 - SEPTEMBER 1, 2023 OF THE FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 15 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings from the same weekly period in August-September of previous years:

1. Getting To Know English Better: “An English language conundrum”

2. Badly Written, Badly Spoken: “It’s unwise to drop the helping verb ‘do’ in emphatic sentences”

3. You Asked Me This Question: “How the English demonstrative pronouns work”

4. Essays by Jose Carillo Retrospective: “Giving justice to J.R.R. Tolkien”

5. Time Out From English Grammar: “12 scholars on the nonfiction books that profoundly changed their minds”

6. Use and Misuse: “Fused sentences are very serious, very annoying grammar violations”

7. You Asked Me This Question Retrospective: “Do we say ‘in the street’ or ‘on the street’?”

8. Advice and Dissent Retrospective: “Getting our Philippine history right after 500 years" – Part 21 (Conclusion)    

9. Language Humor At Its Finest: “Not for the tongue-tied: Tagalog tongue-twisters just this once"

10. Time Out From Grammar Retrospective: “Likely a high-class prostitute was ‘the face that launched a thousand ships’”

11. How English and Science Savvy are You?: “44 actual misphrased statements from student science exams”    

12. Your Thoughts Exactly Retrospective: “Whatever became of ‘Fine!’, ‘You’re welcome!’, and ‘Dead’?” by Isabel Escoda, Contributor    

13. Notable Works by Our Very Own Retrospective: “Overlooked for months, Connecting Flights finally connects with me”

14. Readings in Language Retrospective: "A grammar book that’s very much a manual for the 21st century"

15. A Forum Lounge Retrospective: "Ever wondered why we have all these anthropomorphic collective nouns?" a collection shared by Ben Sanchez, Forum Contributor

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 01:11:19 PM by Joe Carillo »