Author Topic: verb phrase  (Read 6326 times)

b0yw0nder

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
verb phrase
« on: November 23, 2009, 03:06:53 AM »
Which is correct?: "Please take off your shoes." or "Please take your shoes off." Do verb phrases have to stick together?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: verb phrase
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:51:36 AM »
Both "Please take off your shoes" and "Please take your shoes off" are grammatically correct, but the first is more idiomatic than the other. And yes, verb phrases normally stick together, but they don't really have to. As another instance, we can as comfortably say "Turn off the light" as "Turn the light off." It's just that it's much easier to say the preposition right after the verb rather than make the tongue fumble for it later, particularly when the object of the verb is a long noun phrase, as in "Turn off the light at the far end of the garage." See what happens when we defer the preposition to a little later: "Turn the light off at the far end of the garage." Or to much later: "Turn the light at the far end of the garage off." Verb phrases tend to stick together for the speaker's convenience; that is, they are idiomatic or habitually spoken.

madgirl09

• View Profile
Re: verb phrase
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:22:07 PM »
I usually put that word "off" at the end of the sentence if I want to stress or emphasize "off". Verbs with their allied prepositions should, as much as possible, go together, but for purposes of emphasis, the preposition may occupy the last position in the sentence (to serve as adverb as well)...I think.