Author Topic: To or for?  (Read 4556 times)

English Maiden

• View Profile
To or for?
« on: November 23, 2011, 12:23:36 AM »
Hi, sir!

Which of the two sets of phrases & sentences below is correct? Is it the one that uses the preposition to? Or that which uses the preposition for?

Set A
-letter/s to you
-gift/s to you
-message to you
-ticket/s to the show
-To me, happiness is a hot chocolate drink on a cold day.
-Regine Velasquez (to me) is the best singer to me.
Set B
-letter/s for you
-gift/s for you
-message for you
-ticket/s for the show
-For me, happiness is a hot chocolate drink on a cold day.
-Regine Velasquez (for me) is the best singer for me.

Thanks in advance, sir!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: To or for?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
In general, either “to” or “for” can be used in the two sets of prepositional phrases you presented above. The choice will depend on your intent as speaker or writer in making the statement. In the case of “letters to/for you,” use “to” when you have in mind “you” as the specific addressee or recipient, as in “These letters are addressed to you.” On the other hand, use “for” when you have in mind “you” as the object of the message contained in the letters, as in “I was told that this bunch of letters is for you.” The same distinctions apply to the other sets of prepositional phrases you presented.

Just keep in mind that the prepositions have specific functions in language. In the case of “to,” among several other functions, it indicates a movement or an action or condition suggestive of movement toward a place, person, or thing reached. In the case of “for,” also among several other functions, it indicates purpose or the object or recipient of a perception, desire, or activity. It’s your call as a writer or speaker which of them to use depending on the precise sense you want to communicate.

zMonster

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Rafting Adventre
    • Email
Re: To or for?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »
i also have hard time in these terms. It makes my grammar bad. And it lessens my quality as a writer.