Author Topic: 'To' - small word, big confusion.  (Read 5305 times)

spelling

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
'To' - small word, big confusion.
« on: August 17, 2018, 02:28:29 AM »
Good day.

I am struggling to understand the difference between "Come here" and "Come to me". I know when to use 'to', but I cannot explain it to someone.

What is the part of speech of 'to' in the 2nd sentence above? Adverb?

Why don't we say "Come to here, come to upstairs, come to home", but we do say "Come to church, come to me, come to town"?

As always, looking forward to your answer.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 'To' - small word, big confusion.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 01:38:41 PM »
The grammatical and structural difference between “Come here” and “Come to me” is actually very simple. In “Come here,” the word “come” is used as an intransitive verb to mean “approach” or “move toward something,” with the noun “here” meaning “this place.” As we know, intransitive verbs don't need an object or an object of the preposition to receive its action; as such, it also doesn't need the preposition “to” as an intermediary device for that object. In contrast, in “Come to me,” the word “come” is a transitive verb that means “approach or be near something”; in this particular case, “me” is the object of the preposition “to,” which serves as the intermediary device for the action of the transitive verb “come.”

WHY SHOULD THERE BE “TO” IN “COME TO ME” AND NONE
IN “COME HERE” AND “COME HOME”?

In “Come to me,” the word “to” isn’t an adverb; as already pointed out above, it’s a preposition that serves the intermediate function of receiving “me” as the object of the preposition  

This distinction between “come” as an intransitive verb and as a transitive verb explains in the same way why we don’t say “Come to here,” “Come to upstairs,” and “Come to home,” but we do say “Come to church,” “Come to me,” and “Come to town.” “Come” is intransitive in the first set of three statements, needing no object to receive its action; in contrast, “come” is transitive in the second set of three statements, needing the nouns “church,” “me,” and “town” as objects of the preposition “to.”

We must also keep in mind that the preposition “to” is a function word that indicates “movement or an action or condition suggestive of movement toward a place, person, or thing reached.” When a speaker asks another person to “come” to “here,” or the same place where that speaker is speaking, the direction of the desired movement is already obvious, so it has become idiomatic to drop or to no longer use “to” for such requests: “Come here,” “Come upstairs,” and “Come home.” This is actually a form of ellipsis, the dropping of obvious grammatical elements as a way of streamlining and making statements more concise both in spoken and written form.

I trust that this has adequately clarified the usage of "come" as an intransitive verb and a transitive verb for you.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:10:23 PM by Joe Carillo »

spelling

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 'To' - small word, big confusion.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »
Thank you so much.