Author Topic: Did/have  (Read 5604 times)

spelling

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Did/have
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »
Hello,

What is the difference between: "Did you get my message?" and "Have you received my message?".

Thank you.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Did/have
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
There’s a fundamental difference in sense between the two sentence constructions you presented. The second, “Have you received my message?”, is asking the target recipient to just verify receipt of the message, while the first, “Did you get my message?”, can be understood in two levels or ways. The first level is in the same surface sense as that of the first question—verifying the physical receipt of the message; the second level is the deeper sense—finding out if the target receiver understood the message. In oral communication, how the question “Did you get my message?” will be understood will largely depend on how it is enunciated  by the sender of the message. In written communication, on the other hand, the ambiguity might need to be clarified between the sender and receiver of the message.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:07:20 AM by Joe Carillo »

spelling

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:33:21 PM »
Thank you, sir.  I see that I did not formulate my question well.  What I wanted to know is if there is a difference in tense? Sorry.

Cagebreinne01

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 10:57:36 PM »
There’s a fundamental difference in sense between the two sentence constructions you presented. The second, “Have you received my message?”, is asking the target recipient to just verify receipt of the message, while the first, “Did you get my message?”, can be understood in two levels or ways. The first level is in the same surface sense as that of the first question—verifying the physical receipt of the message; the second level is the deeper sense—finding out if the target receiver understood the message. In oral communication, how the question “Did you get my message?” will be understood will largely depend on how it is enunciated  by the sender of the message. In written communication, on the other hand, the ambiguity might need to be clarified between the sender and receiver of the message.
The post was absolutely fantastic! Great deal of great information and this can be attractive some and the other way. Keep updating your post,excited to get more detailed contents…Great job, thanks..

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »
You're most welcome, Breinne! I'm delighted that you're finding the postings in the Forum interesting.