Author Topic: Is it correct to use the verb "invite" as a noun?  (Read 56923 times)

maudionisio

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it correct usage to use the verb “invite” as a noun?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 05:37:23 PM »
Remember the British say public transport (a noun), not public transportation (a noun), as the Americans do. According to Webster, “invite” is also a noun now used chiefly in the dialect.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »
Joe.

Upon reading your "Verbs into Nouns" piece, it occurred to me to ask:    How can you reconcile your following statement:

I can appreciate why some English speakers like you and Max Sims find it more reassuring and predictable to use “gut feeling” than “gut feel.” It really depends on one’s communication milieu and language register. In my case, however, having worked in communication management for over two-and-a-half decades, I can assure you that in business and management circles, “gut feel” has greater currency—meaning it’s more idiomatic—than “gut feeling.” This is why I strongly feel I must stand my ground on my usage of “gut feel.”

with your previous statement:

Still, I think it’s an entirely different matter when it comes to letters and other forms of written communication, whether formal or informal. In such cases, I think using “invite” as a noun is nothing less than a grammatical outrage; in fact, whenever I get a formal invitation that uses “invite” as a noun instead of as a verb, my estimation of the quality of the English of the message source plunges several notches lower—and the temptation to decline the invitation becomes almost irresistible to me.

Admittedly, the former is to do with a noun becoming a verb, and the latter is to do with a verb becoming a noun, but what the heck - is not the principle the same?    If one is an outrage, why not the other?

In any case, why the concern over verbs becoming nouns and vice versa?    This has been happening for centuries.    The last one to attract my attention is "commute", meaning a regular short journey.  Now that is an outrage!

There are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of English words that serve as both noun and verb, but no one seems to worry about it (except me when the US of Americans use the verb "permit" as a noun!     :)

renzphotography

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »

The word "commute" actually carries several meanings. A visit to the dictionary website www.merriam-webster.com will give us the following:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/commute

Main Entry: commute
Pronunciation: \kə-ˈmyüt\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): com·mut·ed; com·mut·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin commutare to change, exchange, from com- + mutare to change — more at mutable
Date: 15th century

transitive verb
 1 a : change, alter b : to give in exchange for another : exchange
2 : to convert (as a payment) into another form
3 : to change (a penalty) to another less severe <commute a death sentence to life in prison>
4 : commutate

intransitive verb
1 : make up, compensate
2 : to pay in gross
3 : to travel back and forth regularly (as between a suburb and a city)
4 : to yield the same mathematical result regardless of order —used of two elements undergoing an operation or of two operations on elements

renzphotography

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »

I think the root of the use of the word "permit" as a noun comes from the fact that there are documents called work permit, visitor's permit, inspection permit, entrance permit, written permit, and so on. Of course, the generic term for these documents would then be "permit" or "permits".