Author Topic: Between short sentences and long, which convey the information effectively?  (Read 6979 times)

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
Different writers writing about writing well in English have different perspectives over how long sentences should be constructed to effectively deliver the ideas carried in them. Some advocate for short sentences, arguing long ones tend to confuse and put off readers. Others recommend making sentences as lengthy as they might require to accomodate information being delivered. They go as far as to say short sentences are most preferrable for making headlines of stories. Still, there are those who campaign for a combination of both by pointing out that the logic of doing so is to prevent a sense of monotony that might be brought about by the prose that contains sentences of the same length throughout. Your stating your position on this will definitely put an end to my lingering confusion.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:56:58 AM by Mwita Chacha »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
To clearly convey an idea in the writer’s mind, a sentence should only be as long as it needs to be. It could be as short as two or three words, as “That’s all” in the old Nat King Cole song or “Call me Ishmael” in the opening line of Herman Melville’s Moby Dick. On the other hand, the sentence could be all of 4,391 words, which is how long Molly Bloom’s soliloquy is in James Joyce’s novel Ulysses; this indomitable wordage, however, pales in comparison with a 13,955-word sentence in British novelist Jonathan Coe’s The Rotter’s Club, which Wikipedia says “appears to hold the record for the Longest English sentence in English literature.” (This time I won't bother you with a link to a quote.)

My point in citing these highly disparate sentence lengths in published English works is that there really isn’t any rule as to how long a sentence should be. It all depends on how simple or complex the mind of the writer runs, on the personal writing style that he or she has developed, and on the kind of audience being addressed. For practical purposes as opposed to literary purposes, however, I would recommend brevity in sentence construction all the time in the interest of clarity. In particular, I do think that a newspaper reporter would be making a hateful imposition on the reader by habitually writing news-story sentences far in excess of, say, 20-25 words; that a TV news writer would cause confusion and consternation among both news readers and TV audiences by foisting 30-word sentences on them even just occasionally; and that a speaker on the lecture circuit would make audiences doze off without fail by droning on and on with sentences way beyond 30-40 words.

Admittedly, though, the preceding 85-word sentence above would seem to contradict my very own prescriptions for sentence length. Well, it does, but I suggest that we look at this contradiction as another important aspect of sentence word-counts. Punctuation does change the sentence-length paradigm altogether. Indeed, the judicious use of punctuation marks—the comma, semicolon, colon, dash, ellipsis, and parenthesis—makes it possible for us to write high word-count, many-idea sentences without overwhelming our readers or listeners. This, however, is another aspect of sentence construction that we should look at more closely some other time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:54:54 AM by Joe Carillo »

Gerry T. Galacio

• View Profile
[1] From the US Army "Action Officer Staff Writing" on variety in sentence length:

Don’t make all your sentences the same length because it makes them monotonous.
Don’t make all your sentences long because it makes them dense and hard to read.
Don’t make all your sentences short because it makes them choppy, telegraphic, and juvenile.

[2] From “Research-Based Web Design & Usability Guidelines” by the US Department of Health and Human Services:

"To enhance the readability of prose text, a sentence should not contain more than twenty words. A paragraph should not contain more than six sentences.

[3] Sentence length averages have shortened over time:

Pre-Elizabethan times: 50 words per sentence
Elizabethan times: 45 words per sentence
Victorian times: 29 words per sentence
Late 1800s: 23 words per sentence

These figures are from “Analytics of Literature, A Manual for the Objective Study of English Prose and Poetry” (1893) by L. A. Sherman, as cited by William DuBay in “The Principles of Readability,” pages 10-11. Sherman was a professor of English Literature at the University of Nebraska.

[4] For the recommended average sentence length for public documents (legal, health literacy, etc.), please read my LinkedIn discussion "How short is short? Recommended average number of words per sentence" at
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/How-short-is-short-Recommended-158634.S.242129850