Author Topic: Using the causative verbs in our writing  (Read 4815 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Using the causative verbs in our writing
« on: September 08, 2022, 07:55:29 AM »
What could be a most baffling aspect of English to its first-time learners is its use of the so-called causatives. English deploys this strange grammatical structure to denote situations where a person or thing doesn’t do the action but causes another person or thing to do it.

Look at how the main verb “have” works as a causative in this sentence: “I’ll have Jennifer call you tonight.” What, the learner may well ask, does “having Jennifer call” mean? A crude literal translation into Pilipino, for instance, yields this: “Kukunin ko si Jennifer para tawagan ka mamayang gabi.” Of course, what the sentence really means is this: “I’ll arrange for Jennifer to call you tonight.” It’s a little bit officious said that way, but it’s close.

The causative “have” just happens to be one of the five most-often used causatives. In the order of their forcefulness, they are the verbs “make,” “get,” “have,” “let,” and “help.” Their forcefulness ranges from the compulsion of “make” to the plain assistance of “help.”

Functionally, all of the causatives work as the main verbs in sentence structures with this general form: [Subject] + [Causative] + [Someone/Something] + [Verb stem/Infinitive/Participle] + [Object/Complements].

The causative “make.”  The doer of the causative “make” forces or compels another person or thing to do the indicated action: “Our boss made us work overtime last night.” “They are going to make their sons fight this war.” Note that when the causative “make” is used, the verb that will carry the action must be in its verb-stem form, not in the infinitive or “-ing” form.

The causative “get.”  The doer of the causative “get” likewise forces or compels another person or thing to do the indicated action, but with less force and authority than “make”: “Let’s get Eduardo to run for president.” “I want to get the car repainted before Christmas.” Note very carefully now that when the receiver of the action of the causative “get” is a person, the action to be done must always be in the infinitive form, not in the verb stem or “-ing” form; we can’t say “Let’s get Eduardo run for president” or “Let’s get Eduardo running for president.”

The causative “have.”  The doer of the causative “have” likewise makes or asks another person or thing do the indicated action, but with less force and authority than “get”: “They had the seller bring down the price by 20 percent.” Note that when the receiver of the action of the causative “have” is a person, the action to be done must always be in the verb-stem form, not in the infinitive or “-ing” form; we can’t say, “They had the seller to bring down the price by 20 percent” or “They had the seller bringing down the price by 20 percent.”

The causative “let.”  The doer of the causative “let” simply gives another person or entity permission to do the indicated action: “The teacher let the pupils go home due to the impending typhoon.” Note that the action permitted by the causative “let” must always be in the verb-stem form, not in the infinitive or “-ing” form; we can’t say “The teacher let the pupils to go home due to the impending typhoon” nor “The teacher let the pupils going home due to the impending typhoon.”

The causative “help.”  The doer of the causative “help” simply assists another person or entity to do the indicated action: “My assistant often helps me do my speeches.” (Using the verb stem alone is preferable, but the infinitive form is also acceptable.) When using the causative “help,” never use the “-ing” form of the verb that will carry out the action; we can’t say, “My assistant often helps me doing my speeches.”

This essay, 2115th of the series, appeared in the column “English Plain and Simple” by Jose A. Carillo in the Campus Press section of the September 8, 2022 digital edition of The Manila Times, ©2022 by the Manila Times Publishing Corp. All rights reserved.

Read this essay online in The Manila Times:
“Using the causative verbs in our writing”

(Next week: When the object is the doer itself)         September 15, 2022

Visit Jose Carillo’s English Forum, http://josecarilloforum.com. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter and e-mail me at j8carillo@yahoo.com.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 08:14:54 AM by Joe Carillo »