Author Topic: Inscrutable English of a foreword to a college magazine in India  (Read 16784 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The photograph below of a page with seriously flawed English was e-mailed to me last August 8 by Prof. R. Muthukumar of the Department of Business Administration of NMSSVN College in Nagamalai, Madurai, India. He describes it as the foreword page of his College Magazine – 2010.

Comments and translation to real plain and simple English, please!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:59:41 PM by jciadmin »

Telekinesis

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inscrutable English of a foreword to a college magazine in India
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 02:31:48 AM »
Perhaps this was a case of WUI - Writing under the Influence (of Alcohol). hahahahaha!!!

Menie

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:07:43 PM »
I see that no one has taken up the challenge of translating this to something which can be understood at first reading, so I will give it a try.  Step one is a literal translation: substituting the weird words and phrases with understandable words or phrases, but retaining the general style of the sentences.

Dear Readers,

We are proud to say that this College Annual Magazine is a product of the hard work of qualified people.

It is an announcement that our college has a collection of versatile people who have clear ideas about prevalent issues in society.  We believe that our readers will be invigorated after reading these articles, which deal closely with sensitive and unique ideas.

The Editorial Board thanks the members for their meritorious and sincere effort in bringing this Magazine out.  We also thank Management for their encouragement and cooperation toward the successful completion of this annual book. 

Once again we bow our heads in recognition of Management’s untiring effort to uplift the condition of the college staff and to continue the progress of our college.

We also thank M/s Edison Printers for their good and prompt service.

Having understood what they are trying to say, we can then attempt to rewrite it in a better style, but still retaining all of the ideas expressed above.

Dear Readers,

We are proud to present to you this College Annual Magazine. 

This is a collection of views on prevalent issues in our society, which are examined with sensitive and unique perspectives.  We hope that you will find these articles interesting and that these will move you to take further action.

We wish to thank the contributors and magazine staff for their hard work and dedication.

We also thank the school administration for their encouragement and support toward the successful completion of this magazine.  We take this opportunity to acknowledge their untiring effort toward the betterment of the college staff and the continuing progress of our school.

Lastly, we thank M/s Edison Printers for their excellent work.

TillT

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 04:16:56 AM »
I started to try to translate than...then I realized it wasn't quite worth the effort. Kudos above for the attempt! ;D
I have my own Home Security Team

pipesdaddy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Water Pipes for Sale
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
It's really hard to understand the meaning. They should be more careful in future.

cateespimsleur

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pimsleur italian downloads
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »
People have to burn their midnight oil to find the meaning. It's really difficult to understand.

syntheticturf8

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »
I also do not understand the meaning