Author Topic: Which is correct?  (Read 5664 times)

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email
Which is correct?
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
Even I, (is/am) very much willing to be corrected but not to be embarrased?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which is correct?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »
Since the subject is the first-person singular pronoun "I" in the present tense, the grammatically correct form for the verb "be" in that sentence is "am." That sentence should therefore be constructed as follows:

"Even I am very much willing to be corrected but not to be embarrassed." 

Always remember the basic conjugations of the verb "be" in the various tenses:
1. Infinitive form: "to be," as in "It's nice to be loved."
2. Present tense: "am" for the first-person singular, as in "I am in love"; "are" for the first-person plural, as in "We are in love"; "are" for both the second-person singular and third-person plural, as in "You are in love" (singular "you") and "You are in love" (plural "you"); "is" for the third-person singular, as in "He/she is in love"; and "are" for the third-person plural, as in "They are in love."
3. Past tense: "was" for the first-person singular, as in "I was in love"; "were" for the first-person plural, as in "We were in love"; "were" for both the second-person singular and second-person plural, as in "You were in love" (singular "you") and "You were in love" (plural "you"); and "was" for the third-person singular, as in "He/she was in love," and "were" for the third-person plural, as in "They were in love."
4. Future tense: "will be" for all nouns regardless of person and number, as in "I/We/You/He/She/They will be in love."
5. Progressive tense: "be" takes the form of "being" and works either with an object of the preposition, as in "He feels good being in love," or with the past participle of the operative verb, as in "He feels good being loved." 

The verb "be" is not only among the most often used words in English but, as we can see above, definitely also the most variable, difficult, and troublesome verb, so we need to memorize all of its conjugations before we can construct grammar-perfect English sentences.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:42:15 PM by Joe Carillo »

Bunty

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Manuscriptedit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »
Even I, am very much willing to be corrected but not to be embarrased?
Bunty

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »
I don't think the comma is formally required after "I" in the following sentence construction:

"Even I, am very much willing to be corrected but not to be embarrassed."

My feeling is that the pause after "I" is better left to the discretion of the speaker rather than mechanically indicated by the comma in the written form.

exefiles

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • exe sys
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
I think "am" is the right one.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »
It would be great if you can explain why you think so.

Water Damage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Water Damage
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:19:28 PM »
hello 2 everyone.... hope u'll be fine, im new on this forum, find it so interesting so far....

nensyronn

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
I think I am very much willing to be corrected but not to be embarrassed? is the correct sentence and Joe good information given by you. It is very interesting and useful information.