Author Topic: Virtually  (Read 5430 times)

Telekinesis

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Virtually
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:45:36 AM »
Mr. Carillo, is the adverb "virtually" the alternative to the adverb "practically"?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Virtually
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:16:20 AM »
Yes, we can say that the adverb “virtually” is an alternative to the adverb “practically,” but in actual usage, I wouldn’t say that they are practically interchangeable. Their dictionary definitions are, of course, almost identical, as we can see from these entries in my digital Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary:

virtually
Function: adverb
Date:15th century

1 : almost entirely  : NEARLY
2 : for all practical purposes  <virtually unknown>

practically
Function: adverb
Date: 1571

1 : in a practical manner  <look practically at the problem>
2 : ALMOST, NEARLY  <practically everyone>

Even if “virtually” and “practically” are almost synonymous, however, I must make the caveat that the semantics of the two are significantly different. For instance, let’s take what I’ve just said: “I wouldn’t say that they are practically interchangeable.” Except in an academic exercise like this, you won’t ever catch me using “virtually” in place of “practically” in that statement. I won’t ever say or write “I wouldn’t say that they are virtually interchangeable.” In such usages, “practically” has a practical, matter-of-fact flavor, while “virtually” has a hint of affectation that borders on what I’d call hoity-toityness. Indeed, one of the very few instances when I think “virtually” can replace “practically” without causing me discomfort is in the case of science or technical statements, as in this hypothetical sentence: “The two positions of the electron at that energy level are virtually interchangeable.”   

As to why this is so, I think we need to take up as well the meaning of the adjective “virtual,” from which the adverb “virtually” originated:

virtual
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, efficacious, potential, from Medieval Latin virtualis, from Latin virtus strength, virtue
Date: 15th century

1 : being such in essence or effect though not formally recognized or admitted  <a virtual dictator>
2 : of, relating to, or using virtual memory
3 : of, relating to, or being a hypothetical particle whose existence is inferred from indirect evidence  <virtual photons> —  compare REAL 3
4 : being on or simulated on a computer or computer network  <print or virtual books>  <a virtual keyboard>: as  a : occurring or existing primarily online  <a virtual library>  <virtual shopping>  b : of, relating to, or existing within a virtual reality  <a virtual world>  <a virtual tour>

As we can see, the word “virtual” has a very slippery sense of perceived or imagined strength and of theoreticalness to it, which contrasts to the workaday, down-to-earth denotation of the noun “practical.” So, when it comes to a choice between their adverb equivalents when I’m talking about mundane matters, I’d take “practically” over “virtually” anytime.

Telekinesis

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
Mr. Carillo, thank you for the reply.  Now I understand.

The Sh*t Detector

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
Thank you for this explanation, Mr. Carillo. Some writers use the word LITERALLY when the intended meaning is that of VIRTUALLY or PRACTICALLY. For example, "He literally picked the stars from the heavens and gave them to his wife." These writers ought to read your explanation here.  ;D