Author Topic: No, not everything that pertains to the president is “presidential”  (Read 3947 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I find it extremely bothersome that many Philippine media people don’t see anything wrong with using the adjective “presidential” to describe anything and everything that pertains to the Philippine president. Of course, it’s perfectly proper to use that adjective in these terms— “presidential election,” “presidential staff,” “presidential task force,” “presidential speech,” “presidential prerogatives,” even “presidential habits.” These attributes or possessions of the president or of the presidency can all be legitimately described as “presidential.” But I think it should be obvious that people and other entities related to the president by blood, affinity, proximity, or special circumstance—perhaps an official assignment or even a romantic involvement—aren’t necessarily “presidential” by any stretch and shouldn’t be described as such. Indeed, only if they have true potential of becoming the president themselves can they be rightfully described as “presidential.”

It’s semantically absurd, in particular, to call the president’s parents “the presidential father” and “the presidential mother,” to call a media person assigned to cover the president’s official activities as “a presidential reporter,” to call someone the president is dating as “the presidential squeeze*,” or to call a cat or a dog that the president is fond of as “the presidential pet.” I submit that the proper and accurate terms for them are, plainly and simply, “the president’s father,” “the president’s mother,” “a reporter covering the president,” “the president’s squeeze,” and “the president’s pet.”

But look at how some of the Philippine broadsheets and broadcast networks have been indiscriminately misusing the adjective “presidential” in their news reportage during the past several weeks:

(1) Philippine Star: “presidential sisters Ballsy Cruz and Pinky Abellada”

Presidential sisters refuse VIP assistance at NAIA

MANILA, Philippines - Taking their cue from their brother, presidential sisters Ballsy Cruz and Pinky Abellada, along with other relatives, eschewed VIP treatment and insisted on being treated as ordinary passengers at the airport.

Cruz and Abellada, sisters of President Aquino, fell in line at the departure area even after airport and immigration officials recognized them and offered their assistance.

(2) Manila Bulletin: “the Presidential sister Kris Aquino-Yap”

Ballsy and Pinky show humility at the airport, Kris leaves for LA

Kris Aquino-Yap, the controversial sister of President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino, quietly left the country Thursday evening, July 8, 2010, together with her sons Joshua and Baby James.

This was confirmed by the airport’s Media Affairs Office who said that the Presidential sister left for Los Angeles, California aboard Philippine Airlines flight PR102.

(3) ABS-CBN News: “presidential stylist”

Liz Uy: From fashion editor to presidential stylist

MANILA, Philippines - During the election campaign, incoming President Benigno ‘Noynoy’ Aquino III’s wardrobe staples were the trademark Cory yellow T-shirt and jeans, and plain black short-sleeved polo with a tiny yellow ribbon woven on the breast worn over slacks.

But when he assumes the presidency on June 30, the newly-elected President will have to fold away his campaign uniform for a wardrobe more suitable to the needs of his office.

During the campaign, part of Noynoy’s charm that endeared him to the masses was in his easygoing, approachable and everyman appearance.

In the interest of good English, assuming that it was the reporters themselves who had misguidedly used the adjective “presidential” in the news stories above, the editors or desk people of the media outlets should have routinely corrected the misuse in each case, as follows:

(1)
“Taking their cue from their brother, the president’s sisters Ballsy Cruz and Pinky Abellada, along with other relatives, eschewed VIP treatment and insisted on being treated as ordinary passengers at the airport.”

(2)
This was confirmed by the airport’s Media Affairs Office who said that the President’s sister left for Los Angeles, California aboard Philippine Airlines flight PR102.

(3)
“Liz Uy: From fashion editor to the president’s stylist”

The adjective “presidential” is actually not the only word related to the presidency that’s being indiscriminately misused by Philippine media. The other is, of course, the noun “presidentiable,” which isn’t even recognized yet by the more authoritative English dictionaries. Indeed, during the campaign for the recent Philippine national elections, “presidentiable” enjoyed very wide usage in the domestic mass media, accounting for the great majority of the combined 672,000 results reported by Google for “presidentiable”/ “presidentiables.”

As far as I know, the only dictionary that has taken cognizance of “presidentiable” as an English word is the Double-Tongued Dictionary, which bills itself as “A lexicon of fringe English, focusing on slang, jargon, and new words.” Here’s how this dictionary defines “presidentiable”:      

presidentiable n. a candidate for presidency. Subjects: English, French, France, Philippines, Politics
Etymological Note: The noun form of the word is probably separately derived in France and the Philippines from the adjective presidentiable ‘capable of being president.’ Such an adjective-to-noun conversion is more common in French and Spanish (from where the word was introduced into the Philippines) than it is in English. A similar word is papabile ‘suitable to be Pope.’

Now, in closing, the question I would like to ask is this: Should we be proud that the Philippine mass media is at the forefront of an indirect lobby for the inclusion of the noun “presidentiable” in English dictionaries simply by indiscriminately using it? I have mixed feelings about the matter. As to using the adjective “presidential” in semantic situations that obviously don’t call for it, however, I submit that reporters and editors in the Philippines could set a good example for good English usage by deciding to cease and desist from using it in their news reportage and commentaries.  

---------
*I’m actually very uncomfortable with the term “presidential squeeze” but I think it would be a logical consequence of the Philippine media’s very liberal use of the colloquial noun “squeeze” when referring to the president’s girlfriend even in mainstream journalistic reportage. Here, for instance, is a passage in a major broadsheet that uses the word: “Aquino had a ‘movie date’ with current squeeze, Valenzuela City Councilor Shalani Soledad, last Friday night at Rockwell Mall in Makati City for the premiere of a documentary film on the last election, titled ‘Noy.’” (“Aquino to lose half of presidential salary to income tax,” Philippine Daily Inquirer, May 30, 2010) Frankly, “squeeze” sounds so out of place in that news story.

SHORT TAKES IN MY MEDIA ENGLISH WATCH:    

(1) Manila Bulletin: Bad sentence construction

Discount for elderly baffles cabs, jeepneys

Thousands of taxi and jeepney drivers from all over the country complained on Thursday about their inclusion in the coverage of the Expanded Senior Citizens Law that grants the elderly 20-percent discount in transport fares.

They said if the government insists on imposing the discount, they might as well not take senior citizens as passengers.

“The law virtually reversed the situation. Instead us getting tips from passengers, we are now the ones giving tips to our passengers who are senior citizens,” a taxi driver complained.

The lead sentence in the news story above is in serious semantic trouble. Because of bad sentence construction, it’s actually implying that the thousands of complaining taxi and drivers are all senior citizens—meaning all of them are 65 years of age or older—but that they resent having been granted a 20 percent discount in transport fares. Isn’t that absurd?

The problem arose because as constructed, the sentence mistook the drivers themselves instead of their taxi and jeepney units as the object of the expanded coverage of the Expanded Senior Citizens Law. What needed to be said, of course, was that the coverage was expanded not to cover the drivers but their vehicles.

Below is corrected version of that sentence that puts everything in its proper place:

“Thousands of taxi and jeepney drivers from all over the country complained on Thursday about the inclusion of their vehicles in the coverage of the Expanded Senior Citizens Law that grants the elderly 20-percent discount in transport fares.”

(2) Manila Bulletin: Unnecessary hyphenation of compound modifier

De Lima to review case of ‘Morong 43’

Newly-installed Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said on Thursday that she would review the “Morong 43” case to determine if there was indeed basis to file the criminal charges against the 43 health workers.

In English, the modern style prescription is not to hyphenate a compound modifier consisting of an adverb ending in “-ly” and an adjective. Here’s that sentence reflecting this correction:

Newly installed Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said on Thursday that she would review the “Morong 43” case to determine if there was indeed basis to file the criminal charges against the 43 health workers.”

(3) Philippine Daily Inquirer: Scurrilous language by reporters in their own stories

Arroyo evades media on Lorenzo, ‘like a mouse’

MANILA, Philippines — Eager to know what Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has to say about her former agriculture secretary’s avowed intention to cooperate with the planned inquiry into the P728-million fertilizer fund scam in 2004?
Arroyo ignored the reporters and cameramen thronging around her to record her comment on the just returned Luis “Cito” Lorenzo, and scurried away, in the words of a GMA TV reporter, “like a mouse.”

GMA News reporter Ivan Mayrina saw the ex-President bend to go under one of the red ropes in the session hall to make good her escape.

“She looked like a mouse,” Mayrina said.

There seems to have been a terrible breakdown of journalistic discipline in the reporting of the above story, one that perhaps borders on libel.

To my recollection, this is one those very rare instances when reporters covering official proceedings have taken the extreme liberty of quoting one another in their news stories to be able to badmouth a former president and newly elected legislator. Normally, reporters take the trouble of interviewing third parties on the scene to get their comments and impressions of what’s happening. This is because as a rule, what the reporters feel and say to one another during the coverage—particularly scurrilous things—shouldn’t be allowed to intrude into their supposedly objective reporting.

No matter how reporters may dislike or even hate the subjects of their coverage, I think there has been a serious breach of civility in this case—one that warrants a serious review by the media organizations of the news coverage conduct of their reporters.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:37:58 AM by Joe Carillo »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
A U.S.-based Filipino, Manny C., sent me the following feedback this morning about my posting above on the Philippine media's frequent misuse of "presidential" and "presidentiable":

"Joe, the word 'presidential' or 'presidentiable' is the Filipino contribution to all of the English-speaking world. Our rating of everyone connected to any one candidate is too narrow and cheap."

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Precisely why I refused point black to use the word "presidentiable" in all my posts here. I also said that it was a word concocted by journalists and reporters too lazy to invent nice, acceptable English words for others to copy. As for using "presidential" willy-nilly, well , the editor and his subordinates do indeed need a good smack across the face. ::) ;D

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I overlooked this response of Agence France Presse correspondent Cecil Morella to my critique of media reporting the other week, so, better late than never, here it is:

"Drinking spree" -- the local press used it for the Paquito Ochoa story.

"Drinking session" -- alternate form.

Why does it have to be a spree or a session, like a sitting legislature? Having a drink is not enough?

Comments, please!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:17:40 AM by Joe Carillo »