Author Topic: Is "very" such a useless word?  (Read 6918 times)

maria balina

• View Profile
Is "very" such a useless word?
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:14:29 AM »
Hi, Mr. Carillo!

Just now, I came across an FB post with the caption "how to avoid the word very."  The list was quite long.  I got the impression that "very" is a useless word and people who use it have a limited vocabulary or are simply lazy to think of a more appropriate word. 

Can you please tell me if indeed the word "very" should be avoided?  Oh yes, I also use "really" instead of "very."

Thank you!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is "very" such a useless word?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
The word "very" is definitely not "a useless word" and I think it's wrong to totally avoid using it. For instance, if you really love your "significant other" that much, there's no point holding back saying "I love you very much!" or even "I love you very, very much!" to emphasize the depth of your affection. In such moments of intimacy, it's perfectly all right to use "very" as many times as you feel you should.

IMAGE CREDIT: IELTSJUICE.COM

What's really objectionable is to use "very" much too often in peer-group or professional conversations or, much worse, in public speaking engagements where you might sound exaggerating or overemphasizing things that don't need to be said with "very" or with more florid, ornamental words like "truly" and "exceedingly." In short and as a rule, Maria, it pays to have a reputation as a plainspoken and levelheaded person who's not prone to overstate things. Your personal credibility is very important.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:00:26 PM by Joe Carillo »

maria balina

• View Profile
Re: Is "very" such a useless word?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »
Thank you!  As usual, you’re amazingly good at answering questions in English!  You’re my Yoda! ^^