Author Topic: Afghanistan: The Longest, Hopeless Invasion  (Read 6948 times)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Afghanistan: The Longest, Hopeless Invasion
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:44:12 PM »
This essay began as a thread that I originally started on June 26, 2010 on Facebook, based on my comments as posted on BBC 4’s The Today Programme. I decided to put it into essay form here for others interested to know what’s going on in one of the poorest, most inhumane countries the world has ever seen in recent memory. The essay retains the original wording of my comments on the BBC 4 Programme, which can be found on the BBC4 Radio page on Facebook.—Hill Roberts

Five years is a hell of a long time to get out of Afghanistan. It's not a proper war the Brits and Americans are fighting for; rather, a culture and a deep misunderstanding and ignorance about the country's culture and thinking. This country has always been tribal, insular, with deep-seated beliefs no Western mind will ever understand. Forcing these people to think like the West is like forcing forceps into their bodies. It is the West's quest to insist on their own passion for "democratic principles" that will always remain putrid and unwanted by the Afghanis. Resistance has grown twenty-fold for the very reason that the West's presence was forced upon them... and why should they?

Who are they to do it? There are equally worse countries doing the same, inhumane things to their citizens—Somalia, Yemen, the Middle East, Burma, etc., yet, the meddling into Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Iraq pale in comparison. We know why, don't we? Burma, thank goodness, is one stubborn country not to give in to the US and the UK. OK, it's human rights record is pathetic, to say the least, but by not allowing the West to meddle in its affairs, problems are localized and no spread of so-called revolutionaries have been formed. Too bad the CIA has failed in its attempts to meddle and plant their own self- proclaimed democratic new leaders (wide grin). Shame they managed to do it in Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Philippines. Haven't you noticed that each time the US meddles, trouble brews and worsens? Does the US really expect Afghanistan to change when all throughout the centuries, they've always been insular?

Barbaric or not, it's how they want it to be—the West just can't barge in and impose their so-called "democratic principles". So, why force it on them? The US/UK have their own backyard to clean and clear, too. They should start there. Look at the billions of dollars and pounds spent on a country that has no wish to adopt their "democratic principles." The Russians tried it for twelve long years, to no avail. No one will ever succeed in Afghanistan. No one, not in a million years!

Above all, look at the needless deaths of young soldiers—and for what?? For what?

Indeed, it may be very frustrating to see Afghanistan that way, but there's no one who can do it than the Afghanis themselves. The West are just wasting their time, money and effort—a futile exercise in the 21st century. Time to rethink their policies as well as their mindset re eastern culture.

I don't think it's a question of victory. This is where the problem lies; that word is, in itself, a subscribed arrogance. Just what kind of victory do we expect from this when this war has nothing to do with Western values? This war has all to do with protecting the West's interests, so let's not be fooled into believing that they care about those ordinary Afghanis. If they do care about people and their rights, we only need to look at India's catastrophic Bhopal accident, where, to this day, those poor people haven't received a penny. Why on earth do they have to be in Afghanistan when securing the individual's country's borders is a better answer than a stupid invasion? This inexplicable invasion for the good of "democratic principles" is one big rubbish heap! Are the Western countries really there because of democracy and to impose it on them? For starters, democracy is an idealism that would need to be updated in the 21st century. Like it or not, democracy is a bad idea—it is corrupt, time-consuming, pretentious, arrogant.

Democracy, for me, is a misnomer. Look at India—boasting to be the world's biggest democracy. Oh, really? 650 million with no proper toilets and houses? Why?
Democracy would need countless people to approve a single economic project, and politicians waste their time signing/making legislations—better not to have elected political officials. Things move on an awful lot quicker. China, Singapore, Vietnam come to mind. Let's not pretend that democratic countries do not have torture chambers. Whatever we say, no one, but no one, can solve Afghanistan's problems, ills, and the way they treat their women. Frustrating to the core but that's the way it is in that country: the more the West meddle, the worse reaction there will be from them—it’s as simple as that—and it has nothing to do with anything, just bloody human nature passed through each Afghani generation, and never to change, ever! As for their women, the majority close ranks with their men for fear of reprisals—and for fearing fear itself. They, too, have helped encouraged their men to be what they are, or what they have become, since they allowed these narrow-minded folks to control them. It is control and obedience they impose.

As for victory, there are no victors in this—only victims on both sides. I'd say "subscribed arrogance" because this is what the Western governments employ, pretending to be something else. The long view would be OK, if governments worldwide update, and I emphasize the word "update"—their  policies and rethink how to deal with countries dissimilar to their own. Somehow, their policies are so 19th century!

"Subscribed arrogance" is what they employ and have been employing to justify their reasons for invading Iraq, Afghanistan, and other poorer countries. Result? Needless death, billions of dollars and pounds wasted, and they are nowhere near their planned agenda and rhetorical hummings.

Will they ever learn? I doubt it. They want to rule the world, that's why—with tragic, tragic results.

(Note: Union Carbide supposedly settled with $500 million—but the money hardly went to the victims of that horrendous accident in Bhopal, India.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:03:42 PM by jciadmin »

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Afghanistan: The Longest, Hopeless Invasion
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »
I think myself that it's Britain's inability to improve the skills of the young soldiers they send that should have been questioned. The lack of a better description tells me that, indeed, they're being outsmarted by Afghani tribesmen for the simple reason that because they couldn't afford posh/modern gadgets, relying on brain matter would be a natural choice, and so far, they're succeeding. The US and UK  boast (of) modern technology, however, if the brain can't work it out, what's the good of that? Cleverness isn't all about technology, and this is what the Brits and Americans seem to forget--their arrogance for the most part, is getting the better of them. Somehow, they think they are "naturally superior" because of the availability of high-tech goods, without realising that the Afghanis are far more naturally gifted in the planning, strategy and natural instincts. ;D (This is my reply to  the  continuing discussion re Afghanistan on the BBC 4 The Today Programme)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
(BBC4 The Today Programme)
If people haven't paid close enough attention to this so-called war in Afghanistan--to which there will be no ending-- unless this country is totally  cleared of any of the West's remnants--let's just remember again, those young soldiers who died--British and non-British, in a war that they didn't know what the hell they were fighting for. It is in this regard that foreign policies must now conform to 21st century brutal life of who really wants to run and dominate this world. As it is, the US, and to some extent, the UK, would like to revitalise their fame and prestige in this universe of their own unilateral thinking--and no one seems to notice this strange, arrogant behaviour at all. :( ::)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:13:55 PM »
It is indeed the CIA dictating to the current  Obama Administration and pulling the strings, as usual, and sadly, President Obama's role in this is no different from previous administrations. ???

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 04:51:19 PM »
I must admit that barely a week after I began the thread at the BBC4 The Today Programme, a noted gentleman (whose name escapes me) expressed a similar outlook. Hmm, I wonder if he had seen the light of day? Or, he liked my argument that he almost made it his own? Never mind. The important thing is to share ideas and thoughts. If this is my way of contributing to man(kind) ;)then, I'm all for it. Kidding aside, I hope that Afghanistan and its leaders see the importance of peace and order a top priority and their women protected from vile and violence to further their masochistic if not impertinent idealism. ::)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:06:32 AM »
The British government announced today that they were withdrawing their troops in Sangin, Afghanistan. thank goodness they are now realising that whatever  plans they have   there long-term, it would be a futile one. As it is, many now are questioning their presence. Sadly, it has taken them that long to open their eyes to a situation that no one thought would ever  succeed. When false pride gets in the way of a sensible and sound decision, that's what happens. Still, the total withdrawal wouldn't take place until after five years. By then, I'd predict around fifteen thousand  would be killed. The average death is almost one a day, give or take, three hundred British soldiers would die each year. ::)  >:(