Author Topic: The subjunctive and its functions - 2  (Read 2709 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The subjunctive and its functions - 2
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:55:06 PM »
The subjunctive and its functions - 2
(Third of a 6-part series on the subjunctive form)

This is the third of a six-part series on the subjunctive form, decidedly the most deviant and most intimidating of the three moods of the English language.  Started last January 29, 2018, it will run every other day (except Sunday) until February 9.

In the second part of this series, we discussed in detail the first three of the six functions of the subjunctive form, namely: (1) to indicate a possibility given a hypothetical condition, (2) to express a wishful attitude or desire, and (3) to demand that a particular action be taken. This time we will take up remaining three: (4) to describe the outcome of an unreal situation or idea contrary to fact, (5) to express doubt about certain appearances or raise a question about an outcome, and (6) to express a request or suggestion.

To describe the outcome of an unreal situation or idea contrary to fact. The subjunctive can be used to denote a hypothetical state or outcome given a certain condition that is unreal or contrary to fact. Such conditions will often be indicated by the word “if” or “wish”: “If the Earth were flat, Magellan’s naval expedition wouldn’t have circumnavigated the globe.” “How I wish (that) I were here when she said that! I would have told her that she was a liar.” Without “if,” such constructions can sometimes take an inverted syntax: “Were she the CEO, our management wouldn’t be pursuing this erroneous course.”

IMAGE CREDIT RIGHT ILLUSTRATION: WOODWARDENGLISH.COM

We must be aware, however, that there’s one traditional rule for such “if” constructions: when such verbs as “wonder” or “ask” are used to express indirect questions, the subjunctive is uncalled for even if the act or state described in the question is evidently contrary to fact.  Thus, the following constructions are correct in using the indicative: “We wondered if the quotation he gave us was [not “were”] inclusive of the withholding tax.” “I found it so incredible that the European tourist asked me if Cebu was [not “were”] a separate island-republic.”

To express doubt about certain appearances or raise a question about an outcome. Statements that cast doubt on observed behavior or raise a question about a presumed outcome often take the subjunctive form: “He talked as if he were the only educated person in the group, but we knew better.” “That would be an intelligent alternative if the situation were really as you describe.” “She wouldn’t behave that way if she were already a doctor.” “How would the chairman react if everybody were to boycott the committee hearing?” “If he were that rich, would your friend be driving that terribly battered car?”

To express a request or suggestion. The subjunctive can be used to formally express a request or suggestion by a speaker of lower rank or social station than the one being addressed: “We respectfully request that our lunch break be extended.” “We humbly recommend that our suggestion for leniency towards first offenders of this vacant-lot squatting prohibition be considered in the council’s next session.” “I suggest that the chairman take the evening flight.” These subjunctive constructions are obviously very formal and officious, reflecting varying degrees of deference to organizational authority or higher social rank.

Even with a good grasp of these six functions of the subjunctive, however, we need to remain cautious in using in our writing and speech. This is because the subjunctive form, particularly those using “that”-clauses to state a desired outcome, often sound very formal and officious. Indeed, they often give rise to a language register that we won’t allow ourselves to be caught using if we had a choice or if we knew better.

For this purpose, we will discuss simpler alternatives for the subjunctive in the next part of this series.

(Next week: Simpler alternatives for the subjunctive)       February 5, 2018

This discussion first appeared as part of a weekly series in Jose A. Carillo’s “English Plain and Simple” column in The Manila Times from 2004 to 2007 and it subsequently formed Chapter 77 of his book Give Your English the Winning Edge, © 2009 by Jose A. Carillo. All rights reserved.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:32:49 PM by Joe Carillo »