Poll

are the catch words curate, epiphany, and impacted being used properly instead of the usual terms organize, realization, affected

show to anyone
0 (0%)
run the poll for as long as possible
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Code words/catchwords vs. usual terms  (Read 2248 times)

maria balina

• View Profile
Code words/catchwords vs. usual terms
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:55:47 AM »
Hi, Mr. Carillo!

Some kind of code words/catchwords are being used instead of the usual terms like:

1.  curate vs organize, set up
     Curate used to belong to the museum crowd.  Now, it's a fashionable word among events organizers,
     stylists and wedding coordinators.  I see it all the time on instagram.

2.  epiphany vs realization
     I feel that epiphany should be used for an earthshaking or more intense experience.

3.  impacted vs affected
     I don't remember the word impacted being used in recent times.  It was always about the wisdom tooth
     pushing through the gum - impacted tooth.

I'm so eager to hear your answer!  Thank you! ^^

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Code words/catchwords vs. usual terms
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:51:55 AM »
The three catchwords that you referred to me--"curate" for organize, "epiphany" for realization, and "impacted" for affected--are actually just manifestations of the inevitable and rapid evolution of English as a global language. In evolutionary terms, I find them as normal as the early hominids developing feet to become bipedal and then growing larger brains to become walking and running human beings that could think as well. New and more picturesque words for old and tired or tiring ones are to be welcomed to the lexicon, Maria, not to be shunned or shut off from existence. We really should be as humble as the legendary King Canute in the 12th century who, contrary to prevailing belief, demonstrated to his flattering courtiers that he had no control over the elements and that in particular, it is futile "trying to stop the tide."

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:43:48 PM by Joe Carillo »

maria balina

• View Profile
Re: Code words/catchwords vs. usual terms
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:54:41 AM »
Hi, Mr. Carillo!

You're right!  I should welcome new words to the English lexicon.  For a minute, I forgot that the English language needs change.  I like your use of the image of King Canute to drive your point.  We cannot stop the unstoppable tide of new and more picturesque words.

Thank you! ^^