Author Topic: "these information" or "this information" Which one is correct  (Read 42330 times)

ofie4domingo

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
"these information" or "this information" Which one is correct
« on: January 04, 2018, 08:37:56 AM »
"these information" or "this information"

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
Re: "these information" or "this information" Which one is correct
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »
Hi,

The noun "information" is an uncountable noun. Recall that uncountable nouns are nouns which we can't count individually or separately, and the word "information" falls under this category. Uncountable nouns don't have plural inflection.

If an uncountable noun (that is the form we can see in the dictionary) is used as a subject in a sentence, the uncountable noun will call for a singular verb.

With that therefore, we can safely and logically say that the demonstrative "this" is the correct option since the word "information" being an uncountable noun calls for singular verb.  

INFORMATION + Singular Verb

INFORMATION - considered singular uncountable noun

THIS = Singular
THESE = Plural

Therefore,

THIS + INFORMATION and not THESE + INFORMATION

Note:

Please be advised that there is an exception to this grammatical prescription. if you want further understanding about the matter, I'll leave the discussion to sir Joe . He's the expert! =)

Example: THIS (WRONG) police versus THOSE (Correct) police

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:23:39 PM by Michael E. Galario »
"The only thing that's worse than not knowing how to do something is to do something wrong while believing that it's right."

Remember: We may know something but definitely not everything.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »
Your detailed answer to ofie4domingo's question is absolutely right, Mike! I need not add anything to it. Thank you!

ofie4domingo

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
thank you very much. can I ask another question here.
Which of these two sentences is correct? "
1. Attached are the approval letter for your signature and the letter request from the Company.
2. Attached is the approval letter for your signature and the letter request from the Company

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »
thank you very much. can I ask another question here.
Which of these two sentences is correct? "
1. Attached are the approval letter for your signature and the letter request from the Company.
2. Attached is the approval letter for your signature and the letter request from the Company

Hi,

The sentence "Attached (is, are) the approval letter for your signature and the letter request from Company X" mentioned on your post is a passive construct in its inverted structure. To answer your question about verb agreement, let's revert its structure to its normal order.

THE approval letter for your signature and THE letter request (request letter) from Company X (is, are) attached.

Now that we have it in normal order, let's star analyzing the structure.

There are two subjects in the sentence presented above. These subjects are connected by "AND".

S1: THE approval letter for your signature
S2: THE letter request (request letter) from Company X.
Conj.: AND

So the subject structure calls for a plural verb (are).

To further analyze the structure, notice that I have capitalized the article "THE" in the sentence above. If my memory serves me right, the separate use of the article after the coordinating conjunction (AND) clearly indicates that the subjects are distinguished from each other and are therefore treated plural.

If you would like to avoid such problem, you may recast your sentence by making it in the active voice.

"I have attached the approval letter for your signature and the letter request from Company X."

But, of course, its appeal to the reader or the recipient of your letter will be different compared to the passive construct, which ,for me, sounds more formal.

Let's wait for sir Joe for further explanation or clarification if i missed some points on this post.

"The only thing that's worse than not knowing how to do something is to do something wrong while believing that it's right."

Remember: We may know something but definitely not everything.