Author Topic: Improving Sentences Question  (Read 6683 times)

computer chair

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Improving Sentences Question
« on: June 17, 2010, 08:00:03 AM »
In the following sentence, one has to find the error in the sentence. The error in this sentence is answer choice A.

The more scientists learn about subatomic particles, the more closely they come to being able to describe the ways in which the universe operates. No error

A). "the more closely"
B). "to being able"
C). "the ways in which"
D). "operates"
E). No error

*I thought the answer was B because "to being able" sounded awkward and was not a typical infinitive as it had a -ing ending. I am still confused about this.
Furthermore, the answer is A. The correction is "more close" instead of "more closely." However, I the comparative form of close is closer, and isn't more close the incorrect way of saying closer? Please help me in sorting out this confusion! Thank you!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Improving Sentences Question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »
About this test:

"The more scientists learn about subatomic particles, the more closely they come to being able to describe the ways in which the universe operates."

(A) "the more closely"
(B) "to being able"
(C) "the ways in which"
(D) "operates"
(E) No error

I don't think the error in the sentence is answer choice A. The phrase "the more closely" is perfectly grammatical to me in much the same way as "the closer." All of the other answer choices likewise have perfectly grammatical and logical phrasing except (c) "the ways in which." The correct phrasing is "the ways by which," where the preposition "by" is used to mean "through the agency or instrumentality of." The preposition "in," which typically indicates inclusion, location, or position, doesn't denote such agency or instrumentality for how the universe operates.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:13:51 PM by Joe Carillo »

computer chair

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Sentences Question
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 04:45:36 AM »
All right. I also agree that the answer choice C makes sense after reading your explanations. Thanks!