Author Topic: This is in response to the video of Greg Lukianoff on campus censorship.  (Read 5377 times)

forjobstuff

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is there a problem with campus censorship? By law, I would agree that it is.
It is, no doubt, hardly an arguable case that certain groups of people are denied of rights more so than another group. I’ve seen this with my own eyes. They’re the ones in the world we see, frustrated, because they just don’t receive the same opportunities and treatment as others do, and censorship has definitely played a part in this development. Perhaps they’re schooling did not allow them to speak their opinion on matters that directly effected them so that this forbiddance became a normal condition.

This brings about the birth of ignorant behavior, ignorant in the sense of literally not correctly informed to the rights each person has. On the same token, I do feel that there should be a limit to what is said and what can be said. Though we all have the right to free speech, we should take into account that it also is an email with an attachment, or in other words, it is a right with a consequence. An example of this is a person would not scream bomb at an airport, though one could argue its his free will to say whatever he wants.

Of course it may not be the wisest decision to make, for it one does exercise that free will, he will suffer dire consequences. Again, you wouldn’t enter someone’s home and openly say everything that comes to mind, even knowing that your words have offensive tones to the householder. Why not? Because one recognizes that with free speech comes costly consequence. So, the ending result of my response is this: We are all free moral agents and if it does not directly attack another persons rights, we should be able to express our views, but remembering that it is merely our own personal view, not necessarily fact.