Author Topic: handsomer and handsomest  (Read 15005 times)

bhing

• Initiate
    • View Profile
handsomer and handsomest
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
When should the comparative handsomer and the superlative form handsomest be used? In the American Heritage Dictionary, these forms are correct, but these seldom are they used in the Philippines.
Thanks.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: handsomer and handsomest
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »
The adjective “handsome” actually has meanings other than just a pleasing or impressive appearance. It can also denote something marked by a moderately large size, as in “a handsome offer”; or something marked by generosity of graciousness, as in “a handsome gratuity.” In all these denotations of “handsome,” we use the comparative “handsomer” to indicate who or which between two entities has the stronger attribute of “handsomeness,” as in “The talent scout thought that Talent A was handsomer than Talent B” and “We got a handsomer offer for our beach property from the foreign buyer than from the local one.” On the other hand, we use the superlative “handsomest” to indicate who or which among three or more entities has the strongest attribute of “handsomeness,” as in “The talent scout thought that Talent A was the handsomest among his stable of 12 acting talents” and “We got the handsomest offer for our beach property from the American buyer than from the Chinese, French, Japanese, and Australian buyers.” 

I’m not sure if, as you say, “handsomer” and “handsomest” are seldom used in the Philippines. If you mix with the advertising agency, modeling agency, fashion agency, or movie industry crowd, I’m sure you’ll hear that comparative and superlative being used uncountable times 24/7—no matter what the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language has decreed about the usage of these two adjectives.

Gary Covington

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:38:03 AM »
"We got the handsomest offer on our beach property" (See above) really is awful English isn't it ?

"We received a more than handsome offer." or simply "We received a handsome offer"

Handsomer and handsomest are both dreadful words and should not be used.

Oh,and handsome also means 'in a careful and attentive manner'.

"Pull up the anchor lads;handsomely now !"

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »
I agree that it’s awful English to say “We got the handsomest offer on our beach property” without mentioning the three or more offers that are being compared. Indeed, it sounds more like a boast than a comparative statement. In such cases, the two alternative sentences you offered would be appropriate: “We received a more than handsome offer.” “We received a handsome offer.” There is no need for the superlative “handsomest” in both cases because no three or more objects are being compared as to which is “the most handsome.”

However, the superlative is definitely applicable to my two examples from which you have taken your sample sentences: “The talent scout thought that Talent A was the handsomest among his stable of 12 acting talents” and “We got the handsomest offer for our beach property from the American buyer than from the Chinese, French, Japanese, and Australian buyers.” The superlative “handsomest” admittedly may sound awful to some ears, but it would sound perfectly normal and idiomatic to English speakers who have become attuned to it.

You’re right, of course, when you say that “handsome” also means “in a careful and attentive manner.” In fact, that’s Definition 3 of Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary, which lists the following definitions of “handsome”:

Main Entry: handsome
Function: adjective
Inflected Form: handsomer ; -est
Etymology: Middle English handsom easy to manipulate
Date: 1530

1 chiefly dialect   : APPROPRIATE, SUITABLE
2 : moderately large  : SIZABLE  <a painting that commanded a handsome price>
3 : marked by skill or cleverness  : ADROIT
4 : marked by graciousness or generosity  : LIBERAL  <handsome contributions to charity>
5 : having a pleasing and usually impressive or dignified appearance
synonyms see BEAUTIFUL
  –handsomely adverb 
  –handsomeness noun

Gary Covington

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 04:09:48 PM »
This is a nifty little message-board isn't it but what on earth is a 'marquee' ?

What you're getting here,all this chat,is a rebound.I was trying to write a book review - I've never written one before - and it just wasn't happening.I threw down my scribbles in disgust and picked up the paper and there,in Tuesday's edition of Davao Sun.Star,was your column which I'd never seen before.So I logged on.

Handsomer and handsomest - Just  because it's in the dictionary doesn't mean it has to be used.A quote from the extremely thin Strunk and White which I've mislaid and CAN'T FIND.

Old age creeps on.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
Thanks for the compliment about the Forum! I greatly appreciate it.

About the word "marquee," it could either be an adjective or a a noun and here's what my digital Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary says about it:

Main Entry: marquee
Function: adjective
Date: 1946

: having or associated with the name recognition and attraction of one whose name appears on a marquee  : BIG-NAME, STAR  <marquee athletes>  <marquee events>

Main Entry:marquee
Function: noun
Etymology: modification of French marquise, literally, marchioness
Date: 1690

1 chiefly British   : a large tent set up for an outdoor party, reception, or exhibition
2 a : a permanent canopy often of metal and glass projecting over an entrance (as of a hotel or theater)  b : a sign usually over the entrance of a theater or arena that displays the names of featured attractions and principal performers

Sorry to hear about that book review of yours that didn't see the light of day. But maybe what's happening to you isn't really old age creeping in but simply writer's block. It happens even to the most capable writers at any age especially when it's so humid--which I'm sure Davao is at this time of year. I'm sure it will pass, though.

You're right, of course, that so many words needn't be used simply because they are in the dictionary, but I can assure you that at least the Filipino entertainment world is concerned, "handsomer" and "handsomest" enjoy common usage. How else would entertainment writers make quick comparisons between one debonair or marquee actor from the rest?

As to Strunk and White's The Elements of Style, there's actually a complete edition of the book in the web. If you're interested to check it up, I'll get the link and send it to you.

Gary Covington

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:49:34 AM »
Ah - my fault;not explaining myself fully.On the reply page amongst the icons there's an 'm' which swings to the left rather like a carousel.Click the button and it states 'marquee'.Must be a printers term.

'And yes'. These two words really drive me up the wall,often seen in newspapers;"He went to this place and that place,and yes,another place too'.

Where does it come from.Completely unnecessary.

Or 'sans'.Sheer laziness.AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 12:32:24 AM »
That's strange. I've never seen that "marquee" in my Reply page. I tried replicating the actions you described but I wasn't able to produce it. I'll ask my webmaster to show and explain it to me at the earliest opportunity.

Unlike you, I'm not bothered by "And yes"; I'm actually rather comfortable using it. I agree with you, though, that the use of "sans" for "without" in news journalism, as in "She traveled sans preparation," is sheer laziness--not to mention that it's pretentious. The French touch of "sans" is, of course, just right in expressions like "sans rival" (without rival) and "sans souci" (without worry). I don't think it's a serious semantic crime when newspaper columnists spice up their English with those expressions.