Author Topic: Should writers finish their compositions first before editing?  (Read 4340 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
We write the way we write, of course, and that unique way—for better or for worse—often becomes integral to what we might call our personal writing style. But are certain ways to write better than others?

A member of Jose Carillo’s English Forum who calls herself Miss Mae was wondering if she was on the right track with the way she writes, so she sent me the following note two weeks ago:

“One writing quirk I had was that I cannot write without writing down first. That is, literally penning my thoughts on paper before producing a final copy. It was laborious, all right, but what can I do? It was what worked for me in my high school and college years.

“I have had to adjust, though, when I began working. I was able to, but I developed another problem. Mindful of my grammar incompetence, I can’t help fussing over what I’ve just written. I learned somewhere that that should not be the case. Writers must finish their compositions before editing. Is that always true?”

My answer to Miss Mae probably would also apply to many others in a similar predicament:

Oh, Miss Mae, don’t you fret about your tendency to fuss over what you’ve just written! It’s a perfectly normal thing to fuss over your prose whether you are supremely confident or somewhat doubtful of your grammar competence. So long as you don’t obsessively and perpetually fuss over every little detail to the point of not making any progress at all—like the neurotic Mr. Monk, the hilariously perfectionist private detective in that TV series—you are OK. This is because when we write, we’re actually attempting to capture and share some of our thoughts for an audience, whether for just one reader or—in the case of writing for publication—a few thousands or millions of them. And we obviously want our writing to be not only grammatically and semantically flawless but clear, concise, readable, and convincing as well. Writing for an audience is nothing less than a public performance, so it’s but natural for us to put our best foot forward when doing so.

I must also tell you that except perhaps for short, pro-forma memos, letters, or instructions, it simply isn’t the norm for writers to be able to finish writing a composition first before editing it. From what I’ve seen over the years, in fact, most writers are like you and me—they correct or edit themselves along the way as they write. I don’t know of any writer who can complete a full-fledged essay, feature article, or opinion piece of sizable length in his or her mind before sitting down to write it, much less put it to paper or word processor without letup from beginning to finish. Anybody who tells you that he or she can routinely do this is either not telling the truth or is nothing less than a genius with photographic memory and total recall to boot.

I think it’s the lot of most writers, whether amateur or professional, to write in fits and starts. They first take down notes about their impressions and initial ideas, juggle and juxtapose them into tentative statements in their heads or on paper, then start organizing and logically linking them into sentences, paragraphs, and entire compositions. Experienced writers are able to do this at a faster clip, of course, but they generally do so in the same way that you described your own writing process: literally pen thoughts on paper first and fuss over them before producing a final draft. In short, Miss Mae, your writing process isn’t quirkish at all but is actually the norm for most writers. And with more experience and practice, you’ll find this writing process becoming much easier, simpler, and faster—sometimes even a joy—to execute. (2010)

This essay, 711th in the series, first appeared in the weekly column “English Plain and Simple” by Jose A. Carillo in The Manila Times on October 29, 2010, © 2010 by the Manila Times Publishing Corp. All rights reserved.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:46:42 PM by Joe Carillo »

Melvin

• "I came. I learn. I share"
    • View Profile
Re: Should writers finish their compositions first before editing?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 05:32:15 PM »
 In my case, I like to list words that have euphonic effect on me. Words that I really find pleasant and exciting to read. Then, I get phrases from psychology, philosophy, theology, science, and other articles or literature that I read on the Internet, books, magazine, etc. I connect all these words and phrases to create ideas, and eventually  to  write an essay. Editing is my last concern. If my piece will be published, that's just a bonus.