Author Topic: A case of Filipinoism/Filipinism?  (Read 5837 times)

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
A case of Filipinoism/Filipinism?
« on: April 27, 2017, 06:49:03 AM »
Hi sir Joe,

Good day!

Just want to ask if there is such a word as "dormer" in American or British English. The reason why I'm asking is that when I visited my graduate school's website, I had seen an advertisement which has this line that runs as "The Normal Hall Dormitory is now accepting male and female student dormers for A.Y. 2017 - 2017."

I have this feeling telling me that there is something wrong with that advertisement. I can sense Filipinoism/Filipinism in such construct. I am thinking of using the word "boarders" or "lodgers" in lieu of the word "dormers". May I know your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

If you want to check it sir Joe, I have copied and pasted the link below.

https://www.pnu.edu.ph/

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:13:25 AM by Michael E. Galario »
"The only thing that's worse than not knowing how to do something is to do something wrong while believing that it's right."

Remember: We may know something but definitely not everything.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A case of Filipinoism/Filipinism?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »
Whether in the British or American English standard, I have not found a lexicographic authority categorically confirming that "dormer" is short for "dormitory," but I'll hazard a guess that it's indeed an informal usage for the longer word. We can infer this from the formal definition of a "dormer" as "any type of window protruding from a roof... (whose) purpose may be to provide light on the upper floor or to add to the architectural effect." Indeed, this seems to be the context of the usage you cited, ""The Normal Hall Dormitory is now accepting male and female student dormers for A.Y. 2017 - 2017." (italicization mine). I guess it would be prudent to let that usage be since it looks like they have already internally institutionalized it in that graduate school. A "Filipinism" or not, no need to get into trouble questioning that usage since you are already studying in that school and may even end up teaching there afterwards.