Author Topic: Two memorable and truly inspiring commencement speeches  (Read 4032 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Two memorable and truly inspiring commencement speeches
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »
We’re now in the midst of college graduation season in the Philippines and I thought it would be timely and appropriate to share with Forum members two memorable and truly inspiring commencement speeches.

The first is that of the late Steve Jobs, chief executive officer and co-founder of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios, during the 114th commencement exercises of Stanford University in the United States on June 12, 2005; its video is shown on YouTube and I am presenting it with together with the complete prepared text of his speech. The second is that of John Gokongwei Jr., a leading Filipino businessman and industrialist, during the 2004 Ateneo de Manila University graduating exercises in the Philippines; I commented about it (but, make no mistake, definitely not in an unfavorable light) in a column I wrote for The Manila Times in 2004, “The sorry English of our graduation rites,” that I later posted in the Forum.

Watch and listen to Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford University commencement address on YouTube now!  

Read the full prepared text of Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford University commencement address now!

Read the full text of John Gokongwei’s 2004 Ateneo de Manila University commencement address now!

Read my commentary in the Forum on John Gokongwei’s 2004 Ateneo de Manila University commencement address now!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:56:49 AM by Joe Carillo »