Author Topic: American English is dominant second language in the Philippines  (Read 4766 times)

Kal

• View Profile
Hello Jose,

I was watching Jeopardy and I found out that the US had once occupied the Philippines up until 1948 becoming an independent country. That would explain why American English is the dominant second language dialect spoken over British English. I was always wondering that and I was trying to figure that out. I had assumed that American English was the preferred dialect because the american media is pervasive around the world. Now, I know that it is not the case. However, I do have a vague memory from years ago that the Philippines were under the rule of the Americans. It is good to know that fact and I intend on getting more information about it. Well, that is what I want to share. Have at it.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:33:47 AM by Joe Carillo »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: American English is dominant second language in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
Yes, Kal, the Philippines has a legacy from the United States of over 120 years of English as a second language. I spoke about this in a seminar-workshop on English usage to Filipino regional journalists and business communicators almost six years ago. You may want to read my remarks about this subject during that occasion. I posted them in the Forum in 2011 under the title "Twice Over, It’s the Good Fortune of Us Filipinos to Speak English."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:34:26 AM by Joe Carillo »