Author Topic: “20 Spot-on Political Quips for Our Times”  (Read 5465 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
“20 Spot-on Political Quips for Our Times”
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »
AT HOME IN THE PHILIPPINES AND ELSEWHERE IN ASIA AND AFRICA FIRST:

PILIPINO “TALANGKA” (CRAB) MENTALITY
From  “Losing my Filipino-ness” by Pinoy Transplant in Iowa

POLITICAL CARTOON CREDIT: DR. JACK O (AFRICA)*

AND IN THE UNITED STATES AND ELSEWHERE IN THE WORLD:

20 Spot-on Political Quips for Our Times

“Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.” –Plato

“The problem with political jokes is they get elected.”** –Henry Cate, VII

“There ought to be one day—just one—when there is open season on senators.” –Will Rogers

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” –Aesop

“A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.” –George Bernard Shaw

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.” –James Bovard, Civil Libertarian (1994)

“No man’s life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.” –Mark Twain (1866)

“When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I’m beginning to believe it.” –Clarence Darrow

“Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.” –Ronald Reagan

“Why pay money to have your family tree traced; go into politics and your opponents will do it for you.” –Author Unknown

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them.” –Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech 1952

“A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country.” –Texas Guinan

“Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.” –Oscar Ameringer

“If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these acceptance speeches, there wouldn’t be any inducement to go to heaven.” –Will Rogers

“Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel.” –John Quinton

“Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so.” –Gore Vidal

“I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.” –Charles de Gaulle

“Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.” –Doug Larson

“Don’t vote; it only encourages them.” –Author Unknown

—From the Lifesmith Classic Fractals “Fun With the English Language” collection

-------
*The sock-it-to-them graphic father-and-son dig on organized crime presented in this collection is the work of Dr. Jack O., one of Africa's leading cartoonists. Check this website for more of Dr. Jack O. and his amazingly perceptive and penetrating political cartoons.

**The Forum is quietly collecting the names of prominent Philippine political personalities whom you think deserve to be in the roster of domestic political jokes who got elected. Send your nomination in total confidence by e-mail to jcarilloforum@gmail.com. No need to identify yourself; just provide an anonymous username for proper attribution.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:08:19 PM by Joe Carillo »