Author Topic: Determiner Usage  (Read 3538 times)

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
Determiner Usage
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »
Hi Sir Joe,

I was randomly reading posts on Facebook the other day and one of the posts by a Facebook user caught my attention. The post runs like this: "You are a one stupid idiot." This line, although it was not addressed to me, got stuck in my grey matter and I can't help but ask you about the structure of the statement for clarification as it has started bothering me since then. lol! ☺

Question: Can the use of the indefinite article "a" before "one" in the statement above be justified as correct or is that a faultily crafted sentence? Reason why I'm asking is that I could hardly recall the topic about determiners and its classification according to their position: pre - determiner, central determiner and post - determiner.

Thank you sir Joe.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:13:19 PM by Michael E. Galario »
"The only thing that's worse than not knowing how to do something is to do something wrong while believing that it's right."

Remember: We may know something but definitely not everything.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Determiner Usage
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »
The sentence "You are a one stupid idiot" is grammatically and syntactically indefensible. The article "a" has to be knocked off: "You are one stupid idiot" (emphatic construction). The normal construction, of course, is "You are a stupid idiot."

Check out my previous Forum post, "Predeterminers are distinct from determiners," for guidance on the usage of the various types of determiners.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 10:10:27 AM by Joe Carillo »