Author Topic: subject-verb agreement with prepositional phrases and compound subjects  (Read 2075 times)

Kal

• View Profile
Hello Jose,

I have accumulated list of prepositional phrases and I want to know what you think about it. I know that that they do not govern the verb when they are between the subject and the verb. Are there more prepositional phrases that should be on the list? 

along with, together with, in addition to, as well as, accompanied with(by), besides, coupled with, not to mention, except, plus, no more than, no less than, rather than, such as, including, more than one, added to, combined with, also, in conjunction with, aside from, exceeding, other than, aside from, unlike, like, nothing but, and not

By the way, I also want to know what you think  of these.

Ham & cheese, breaking & entering, bed & breakfast, slow & steady, fish & chips, steak & eggs, rice & beans, macaroni & cheese, drinking & driving, tortilla chips & sour cream, spaghetti & meatballs, peanut & jelly, cookie & cream, etc.

Each of these compound subjects act as one, which calls for the singular verb agreement, but are there other compounds subjects or items that are not this list? Also how does one know when to use the singular verb agreement or the plural verb agreement when referring to one or more subjects?

Feel free to share this list with other anglophiles.