Author Topic: Questions about the Grammaticality of English  (Read 1811 times)

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
Questions about the Grammaticality of English
« on: July 04, 2016, 10:49:05 AM »
Hi Sir Joe,

We know that grammar and mechanics are about rules and conventions of what one must do and mustn't do in the language. Style, on the other hand, is one's preference in conveying the idea to achieve the writer's desired effect.  

Undoubtedly, following grammar prescriptions would help us conform to what is generally known as acceptable usage in the language. But, sometimes style and usage put(s) us in such a predicament that makes us questions our own usage and someone's usage. With this in mind, may I know your thoughts on the following:

1. How do we validate the grammaticality of a language?
2. Can style and usage make what is acceptable to some not acceptable to some and vice versa?
3. What do you think is the percentage of the objectivity of the English language?
4. Can we say that a second language learner mostly learn prescriptive grammar in most of the educational institutions and descriptive grammar can be learned by attending further studies about the language, speaking with the native speakers, and watching English movies?
5. In teaching and learning the language, isn't it best to combine prescriptive and descriptive grammar in order for us to have a better grounding of the language?

Thank you sir.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:18:37 PM by Michael E. Galario »
"The only thing that's worse than not knowing how to do something is to do something wrong while believing that it's right."

Remember: We may know something but definitely not everything.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Questions about the Grammaticality of English
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »
Michael, I'm afraid that these questions are beyond the pale of what this Forum seeks to cover, so I regret that I could not possibly answer them.