Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "This is a paid advertisement"  (Read 946 times)
Miss Mae

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »

Is the sentence "This is paid for _ " more appropriate than "This is a paid advertisement"?

I had overheard a radio station announced "This is a paid ad" after airing the political campaign of a certain politician.
Joe Carillo
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 10:58:11 PM »

All of the three statements you presented—“This is paid for advertisement,” “This is a paid advertisement,” and “This is a paid ad”—are acceptable sentence constructions, if rather slipshod. I think their comparative appropriateness is not at issue and need not be discussed here.

Those sentences are not very natural-sounding though. I’d say that the more idiomatic, concise, and effortless way of saying them in any kind of media—print, radio, television, the web—is “This is paid advertising.”

Miss Mae

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:12:17 AM »

I see.

I just really had felt uncomfortable upon seeing that disclosure after a political advertisement on TV some three weeks ago.

But why exactly, I couldn't be too sure. So I did not ask about it at once, still remembering the correction blunders I had committed here in the Forum last year.

My mind changed, though, when I saw the questionable disclaimer altered to the correction I have in mind a few days ago. But it did not occur to me that the sentence in the paid-by form is necessary! Oh, well...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: