Author Topic: Valentine’s Day quiz for incurable English-speaking romantics  (Read 6751 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Valentine’s Day quiz for incurable English-speaking romantics
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:30 AM »
Here’s a Valentine’s Day QuikQuiz for the incurable English-speaking romantics among us:

“What do you think is the most romantic line in the English language ever?”

Surely nobody will want to take issue with your personal choice, and you definitely couldn’t be faulted if you wish to keep that favorite line of yours forever private, but in the United Kingdom, the TV Channel Drama nevertheless polled 2,000 British women about the subject in time for the 2016 Valentine’s Day season.

And the top choice, garnering 16 per cent of the vote, is this line from Emma Thompson’s Oscar Awards-winning screenplay for Jane Austen’s novel Sense and Sensibility:

“My heart is, and always will be, yours.”

The character Edward Ferrars (played by Hugh Grant) professed those ardent words to Elinor Dashwood (played by Emma Thompson) in director Ang Lee’s 1995 screen version of the classic novel.

First runner-up, with 14 percent of the vote, was this line from the 1987 box office hit film Dirty Dancing, spoken by the character Baby Houseman (played by Jennifer Gray) after a tryst with her lover Johnny Castle (played by the late Patrick Swayze):

“I’m scared of what I saw, I’m scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you.”

And second runner-up, with 11 per cent of the vote, was this line from the 1997 film Titanic professed by a freezing Jack (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) to his sweetheart Rose (played by Kate Winslet):

“Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me... it brought me to you. And I’m thankful for that, Rose. I’m thankful. You must do me this honour, Rose. Promise me you’ll survive.”

For the rest of the other “most romantic lines” choices in the Top Ten, read the full story in the February 10, 2016 issue of The Telegraph UK.

Read “Most romantic line in the English language revealed” in the Telegraph.co.uk now!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:53:40 PM by Joe Carillo »