Author Topic: People or persons?  (Read 3697 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
People or persons?
« on: November 23, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »
Ever since I've learned your thoughts on how Filipinos with disabilities should be called, I have always tried to label them as "persons with disabilities." Sometimes, though, without meaning to, I would still use "people with disabilities" in referring to the same sector. Could persons and people be interchanged in that case, Sir?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: People or persons?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 01:26:43 PM »
Yes, I think that grammatically, "persons" and "people" are interchangeable in the plural terms "persons with disabilities" and "people with disabilities." In actual usage, however, the term "persons with disabilities" has more flexibility because it can be rendered in either the singular "a person with disability" or the collective plural "persons with disabilities." In contrast, "people with disabilities" will always be collective in sense because, well, the noun "people" is a collective plural.

Another consideration is that as a rule, the nature of a person's disability is unique to that particular person, so I think it's more precise and prudent to refer to him or her as "a person with disability" rather than classify him or her under the generic plural term "people with disabilities" that may, in fact, be comprised by persons with many different kinds of disabilities. For this other reason, I think that using the term "persons with disabilities" for the collective plural and "a person with disability" for the singular is the better option from a semantic standpoint.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: People or persons?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »
Thank you, Sir!