Author Topic: Test directions  (Read 2956 times)

Melvin

• "I came. I learn. I share"
    • View Profile
Test directions
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »
Sir,
 Good day. Please help. Which one should be used:
1. In every set of words, one will be mispronounced. Write the word that is mispronounced, or
2. One in four words for each item will be mispronounced. Write the word that is mispronounced.
    comfortable      sour      debut         ceremony   

Thank you very much.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Test directions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »
It looks like the test direction you are asking about is from a recorded speech exam. To my mind and eyes and ears, what's best is Test Direction #1. It's clearer, much more succinct, and much better-sounding than Test Direction #2.

Melvin

• "I came. I learn. I share"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »
Good day. Thank you, Sir. It is part of my Communication Skills midterm examination. Should it be test direction or test directions?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:47:40 AM »
You're welcome, melvinhate!

What you asked about is the test direction for only one item, so it ought to be the singular "Test direction." When you use the term to cover the whole set of tests, it's better and safer--but not the only correct way--to pluralize it in the form "Test directions," as in "Follow the test directions for the set of questions that you will now hear..." The singular form "test direction" is also acceptable in such a situation, but some of the more English-savvy test-takers could be thrown off by the seeming dissonance--an unfounded thought though--between the singular "test direction" and the notionally plural but grammatically singular "set of questions."