Author Topic: How to use “only” without getting misunderstood  (Read 3472 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
How to use “only” without getting misunderstood
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:44:39 AM »
I had meant to find out if all of the four members of a Filipino band in our place are single men since they named themselves "Sons of _ ". So I asked, "Are all the members only sons?" The band's leader then replied that he's the only son in their group; the other three has siblings.

Should I have asked "Are all the members sons only?", Sir, so that the band leader would not have misunderstood me? I remember that you have written a chapter in Give Your English the Winning Edge on how to use only properly in a sentence but I cannot find my copy now...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:01:40 AM by Joe Carillo »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to use “only” without getting misunderstood
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »
I apologize for this much belated reply. I had been so preoccupied with very urgent business that I overlooked checking out the postings in this particular discussion board.

From how you relate your conversation with that band leader, you did ask the right question, “Are all the members only sons?”, and he did answer you correctly if indeed he said something to this effect, “I’m the only son in our group; the other three has siblings.” The problem is that you predicated your question on the presumption that by naming their band “Sons of ______,” they meant to indicate that they are “only sons”—in Tagalog “mga kaisang-isang anak na lalaki sa pamilya”—when, from all indications, they meant that they were all sons of whatever name or word it was to complete the phrase “Sons of ____,” like, say, “Sons of OFWs” or “Sons of Great Sailors.” This is why I’m almost sure that the band leader didn’t misunderstand you; he understood you perfectly and gave you a perfectly clear and unambiguous answer. It was the frame of mind you brought to the exchange that was logically faulty, and that having been the case, you wouldn’t have appreciated the correctness of the band leader’s answer even if you had asked the alternative question that you suggested, “Are all the members sons only?,” which, by the way, is syntactically flawed and even more confusing.

Neither you nor the band leader is at fault in that faux pas, though. Both of you are just victims of the treacherousness of the word “only” as the ultimate floating quantifier, capable of creating so much ambiguity and semantic mischief if we are not careful in using or positioning it in our statements. Our only defense against this ambiguity and semantic mischief is what linguists call disambiguating qualifiers, or additional statements designed to clarify our meaning and eliminate ambiguity. Better still, we could prevent ambiguity from developing or getting out of hand by avoiding it at the very point of creation, so to speak. In the situation that you related, for instance, no ambiguity would have started had the band members adopted the name “Only Sons Band,” if indeed they were so as you assumed, rather than, say, “Sons of OFWs” or “Sons of Great Sailors,” which are names that leave lots of room for ambiguity of the kind that prompted you to ask “Are all the members only sons?”—a question that, of course, further exacerbates that ambiguity.

At any rate, you’re right that there’s a chapter in my book Give Your English the Winning Edge that gives prescriptions for avoiding trouble in the usage of “only.” I posted that chapter here in the Forum five years ago under the heading “How to avoid semantic bedlam in the usage of the word ‘only.’” You can check it out by simply clicking the indicated link. I’m sure that by following its prescriptions and avoiding its caveats, you’ll be able to navigate well when using “only” in both your written and spoken English.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:01:54 AM by Joe Carillo »

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to use “only” without getting misunderstood
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
Sir, I really just meant to find out if all of the four members of the "Sons of _ " are single men.

Anyway, in the chapter you posted, I seemed to be correct. I constructed the question "Are all the members only sons?" that way because, as you have said, place "only" immediately before the phrase that will be modified. But could your grammatical prescription  apply to the question I have constructed since it will only be a word ("sons", in this case) that will be modified? I have already finished the article but I still want to know what I should have done in case I would be faced in a situation like this again in the future.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:07:39 PM by Miss Mae »