Author Topic: When to use "in the blank" and "on the line"  (Read 2811 times)

english editor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
When to use "in the blank" and "on the line"
« on: May 06, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
Dear Sir:

Good day!

It's been a long time since i last posted a question here. Anyway, I just need clarification on the correct usage of "in the blank" and "on the line." I was hoping you have some guidelines or rules on when to use these phrases. I am a textbook editor and when editing exercises, especially for grade school books, i always come across these phrases. I just need to know if i am right in using "in the blank" below:

Fill in the blank with the correct answer. Choose your answer from the words in the box.

1. My dress was __________ by my mother.

AND if i am right in using "on the line" below:

Answer each question in one sentence only. Write your answer on the line.

1. What do you think will the teacher do upon learning that Mary did not do her homework?

________________________________________________________________________________

We have been using this style/format in our textbooks. But somebody told me that there is not much difference between the two, thus, we can use these phrases interchangeably. Please enlighten me on this. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

english editor

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When to use "in the blank" and "on the line"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »
In the first example that you presented, "fill in the blank with the correct answer" is the idiomatic, most appropriate phrasing. (This is not be confused with to "fill up the blank..." and "fill out the blank...", each of which is wrong usage in this particular case.)

In the second example that you presented, "Write your answer on the line" is inappropriate, since the preposition "on" gives the wrong idea that the answer must be superimposed on the line. The better phrasing is "Write your answer on the space provided" or "Give your answer on the space provided."

I must disagree with the idea that there is not much difference between the usages discussed above. They are semantically and stylistically different and need to be used as the case may be, not interchangeably.

english editor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: When to use "in the blank" and "on the line"
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:19:27 AM »
Thank you very much, Sir, for this very informative reply. I guess i will now have to tell my staff to avoid using "on the line" and use "on the space provided" instead. Have a good day and God bless you!

english editor