Author Topic: Why it’s dangerous to think the Gods of the top religions are the same  (Read 6220 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
To think that religions are different paths to the same wisdom is a lovely sentiment, but it’s untrue, disrespectful, and dangerous. This idea is propounded by Boston University religion professor Stephen Prothero in his newly released book, God is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World—and Why Their Differences Matter (HarperOne, 400 pages). Prothero says that to pretend that the religions are the same “is to refuse to take seriously the beliefs and practices of ordinary religious folk who for centuries have had no problem distinguishing the Nicene Creed of Christianity from the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism from the Shahadah of Islam. It is also to lose sight of the unique beauty of each of the world’s religions.”

Prothero instead advocates a realistic view of where religious rivals clash and where they can cooperate. He asks: “How can we make sense of the ongoing conflict in Kashmir if we pretend that Hinduism and Islam are one and the same? Or of the impasse in the Middle East, if we pretend that there are no fundamental disagreements between Judaism, Christianity, and Islam?”

He argues that when it comes to safeguarding the world from the evils of religion, including violence by proxy from the hand of God, the claim that all religions are one is no more effective than the claim that all religions are poison. “For most of world history,” he explains, “human beings have seen religious rivals as inferior to themselves — practitioners of empty rituals, perpetrators of bogus miracles, and purveyors of fanciful myths. This way of seeing has given us religious violence from the Crusades and the Holocaust to Rwanda and Nigeria… What we need is a realistic view of where religious rivals clash and where they can cooperate. The world is what it is. And both tolerance and respect are empty virtues until we actually know whatever it is we are supposed to be tolerating or respecting.”

Read Stephen Prothero’s article “Separate Truths” in BostonGlobe.com now!

Read a product description of God is Not One in Amazon.com now!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Stephen Prothero is a professor in the Department of Religion at Boston University and the author of The New York Times bestseller Religious Literacy: What Americans Need to Know (HarperOne, 2007). He has commented on religion on dozens of National Public Radio programs, and on television on CNN, NBC, MSNBC, FOX, and PBS. A regular contributor to the Wall Street Journal and USA Today, he has also written for The New York Times, Slate, Salon, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, and the Boston Globe. Prothero received his BA from Yale in American Studies and his PhD in the Study of Religion from Harvard.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:12:10 AM by jciadmin »

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Here are some of my replies to our discussion re God/Jesus Christ, when two Facebook atheist/Atheist friends of mine queried more...
"There should be no doubt what it means to be God-fearing and having traditional religious beliefs. Faith and belief in one's self are two important factors that would test our mettle as we bring life to our own souls without the God Factor aspect. I've no fear of not being God-fearing. We know that we are stronger as individuals, rather than relying on preachers::) and sermons that would strap our thoughts along the way of a paved road to salvation..." 8)
"...ahh, so, I'd need to beat my chest now and say, "I'm an Atheist, to add to the momentum to the revelation I made recently. Obviously, after having been brought up in two major religions, and having gone to the Vatican twice, it would strengthen my beliefs. Argh! Indeed, it is sad that reality has set in--finally--and I can't help but admit it now. I suppose those who  condemn the likes of us for not believing  in God would judge us. But, Peri, you and I have already been judged by those who oppose our thinking on this. Sad to say, those who judge are those who are God-fearing. These are the people who are quick to judge and no amount of explanation would be acceptable. Suffice it to say, their minds are closed and really, that's as far as it goes, with us and them. ;D I harbour no ill will. I feel much better knowing I know deep in my heart that I practice kindness and generosity every breathing moment of my life..." :)(Part 2 follows)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Part  2 of my discussion with Facebook atheist friends. :)
"I was telling Jim that religion and pretensions are one and the same thing, all things considered. As for Morality/morality, I don't think even the most ultra-religious people know what it really means since these are the very people who have no qualms condemning others for not sharing their line of thought. Besides, these believers are judgemental people who think they are the only ones who deserve to be moralistic." :( :D

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Part 3. Hype, good press and Jesus Christ's loyal customer, Paul, who  helped chronicle his message. Notwithstanding passages in the Bible, this truly must shake those who still doubt (about) His existence. I believe that over the centuries, would-be powerful countries had somehow instigated story-telling as a means to shut up their people. Clever promotion of Jesus Christ, perhaps, or was it because the (towns)people were equally idiots?...I agree that the Bible is oppressive and offensive to women and even chidren, yet why on earth do the modern theologians and religious historians continue to write  about the "good message" of the Lord? In the fullness of time, many will understand that this is of course puzzling and demeaning to those who now see this as a con. ;D The Bible is the most powerful book in the world and the biggest bestseller. I am eternally baffled since the stories and legends espoused by these religious historians gathered and delved into the myth of pure story-telling, exaggerated to the extreme, yet beguiling in its wording. It is hysterically painful to read passages that had encouraged violence against other men, while at the same time, the chroniclers never ceased to look down on women. :o ???Were they masochistic themselves, who took delight in treating women like second-class citizens? Yes, Islamic countries, by way of putting their people on line, have also resorted to extreme measures which are now not even found in the original Qu'oran. While militant Christians--majority of them firm believers of Catholicism, are still in general awe of Jesus Christ...yet, the real danger lies in my simple question:How did he look like? Was he of European extraction? Let's remember that he was a Middle Eastern man, but had since evolved into a Brad Pitt look-alike. :-\ ::)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
"...Islamic countries, by way of putting their people in line..." :D