Author Topic: How Can We Help?  (Read 4028 times)

Nathan_Yell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
How Can We Help?
« on: January 07, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »
Dear Mr. Carilllo,

I've been a member of the forum since 2011. And I am truly grateful for the wealth of knowledge you share on your site. I want to know if there's anyway I can help the site so it would keep running? :)

Thank you.

Nathan
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:32:35 PM by Nathan_Yell »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How Can We Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
Thank you for asking if there’s any way you can do to help keep this Forum running. Still the best way is this: Whenever you come across a particularly objectionable English misuse (whether in the traditional and social media, in books, or in public forums), don’t hesitate to make a posting in the Forum about it. Quote the material and provide a link to its source. That way, the Forum can further widen its dragnet for instances of English misuse, put more of them up for scrutiny in the Forum’s discussion boards, and share the correct usage with Forum members and with everybody else seeking to write or speak English better.

Another way is to share your views or insights, whether pro or con, whenever a debatable point about the English language is raised in the discussion boards. This will ensure lively two-way or three-way, even four-way discussions in the Forum—the more discussants, the better. In truth, I don’t wish to be the only one answering questions raised in the Forum or responding to challenges to the validity of a particular English usage. I’d like to emphasize that I don’t have a monopoly of wisdom in the English language; indeed, I’ll be forever a student of English, always striving—like most everybody else—to write it better and speak it more fluently even as I share whatever learnings about English I’ve acquired in the course of my work as a writer, editor, and communicator.

And one more thing, Nathan_Yell: As you must have noticed, the Forum isn’t confining its discussion boards to the written word alone. Let me therefore take this opportunity to invite Forum members to also contribute particularly instructive or telling photos, audio-visuals, artworks, and cartoons on English use and misuse from published sources. Links to published visuals, with proper attribution to the author and source publication, can be directly posted in the discussion boards. 

Again, Nathan_Yell, thank you for your offer to help. With greater participation by members like you, the Forum definitely can keep its wealth of knowledge growing and become even more useful to learners and researchers of English grammar and usage.