Author Topic: The Kinds of English  (Read 3268 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
The Kinds of English
« on: December 28, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
It seems that I have more than my grammatical lapses to think of in my quest for achieving good English.

As you had pointed out, the reason I have thought something was amiss in the sentence below is that it is constructed in British English meant for British English-speaking readers.

Some staffed foreign NGOs, often in the area of women’s health, which organizations the Taliban permitted to continue.

So would it be wise if we just stick to one kind of English? Globalization is just around the corner, after all...

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Kinds of English
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »
Even with globalization, my advice is to stick to American English anywhere in the Philippines and when speaking or writing for target audiences in American English-speaking countries. When intending to live, work, or study in Great Britain or in any of the Commonwealth countries (Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, etc.), you’ve got to learn to speak and to write British English as well as you can. You’ll be amazed by its many differences from American English in vocabulary, spelling, idioms, and syntax. I don’t think there’s any way for British English or American English to meld into just one kind of English. Regardless of globalization, there’s just too much national pride and prejudice involved on both sides of the language divide for that to happen in the foreseeable future.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Kinds of English
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
Okay...