Author Topic: Prepositions and their usage  (Read 8987 times)

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
Prepositions and their usage
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
Hi sir,

I would just like to ask if there are any rules that prescribe on how to use the different prepositions like in, on, at, to, by, from, with and of. In most of my readings, writers or authors generally advise to read a lot in order for one to develop familiarity on the correct pairing of words and prepositions. I know the basic rules which are stated on the books. However, when a new word is used I'm often troubled by the thought of what preposition is which to use in order for my idea to be expressed clearly and correctly. I know there are times where some preposition could be used interchangeably. But could you give me some points on what relationship should I consider between the word and the preposition so that my understanding would be realigned to what is  standard and acceptable?

By the way sir, I actually took down notes about the different prepositions and I am now studying its uses. however, I'm wondering if the uses and the relationship of each preposition would be enough to consider for me to pair this to the word of my choice.

I'm hoping that you would be able to give me some pointers on this.

And sir, Please do give feedbacks on my grammar error in my posting here.

Thank you! =)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:09:34 AM by Joe Carillo »
"The only thing that's worse than not knowing how to do something is to do something wrong while believing that it's right."

Remember: We may know something but definitely not everything.

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
Re: Prepositions and their usage
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »
Hi sir,

I would just like to ask if there are any rules that prescribe on how to use the different prepositions like in, on, at, to, by, from, with and of. In most of my readings, writers or authors generally advise to read a lot in order for one to develop familiarity on the correct pairing of words and prepositions. I know the basic rules which are stated on the books. However, when a new word is used I'm often troubled by the thought of what preposition is which to use in order for my idea to be expressed clearly and correctly. I know there are times where some preposition could be used interchangeably. But could you give me some points on what relationship should I consider between the word and the preposition so that my understanding would be realigned to what is  standard and acceptable?

By the way sir, I actually took down notes about the different prepositions and I am now studying its uses. however, I'm wondering if the uses and the relationship of each preposition would be enough to consider for me to pair this to the word of my choice.

I'm hoping that you would be able to give me some pointers on this.

And sir, Please do give feedbacks on my grammar error in my posting here.

Thank you! =)

Here's an example sir.

a. Do you know a person by the name Joe Carillo?

b. Do you know a person with the name Joe Carillo?

I know that sentence A is correct. But for sentence B, I'm not that so sure. Does this sentence construction exist in the what is known Standard English?

Please do provide feedback (on, in) this confusing part of speech.

Thank you sir.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:09:50 AM by Joe Carillo »
"The only thing that's worse than not knowing how to do something is to do something wrong while believing that it's right."

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
Re: Prepositions and Usage
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »

Does this sentence construction exist in the what is known Standard English?

[/quote]

Does this sentence construction exist in the what is known as Standard English?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Prepositions and their usage
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
In the Forum’s “Getting to Know English” section, you’ll find four comprehensive lessons on preposition usage. Study them carefully and I’m sure that when you’re done, you’d have become much more confident and comfortable with your preposition choices.

Here are the lessons and I suggest you read them in the sequence indicated:

Lesson #7 – The Prepositions Revisited

Lesson #8 – Specific Rules for Preposition Usage

Lesson #9 – Getting to Know the Prepositional Phrases

Lesson #10 – Dealing with the Prepositional Idioms

As to the choice between “by” and “with” in the following sentences, “Do you know a person by the name Joe Carillo?” and “Do you know a person with the name Joe Carillo?”, both are grammatically correct usage. However, “by” in that sentence is the idiomatic usage—meaning that it’s the conventional choice of educated native English speakers; “with” is usually the groping, uncertain choice of nonnative entry-level English learners, who eventually gravitate to the idiomatic “by” as they get to know their English better.

(By the way, there are actually two more ways of correctly phrasing that sentence without using the preposition “by” or “with”: “Do you know a person named Joe Carillo?” and “Do you know a person whose name is Joe Carillo?” When you are unsure of your choice of preposition, you can get by with these alternative sentence phrasings without fear of losing face.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:10:09 AM by Joe Carillo »